Trouble importing a text file

bill_s1416

Board Regular
When I attempt to import a text file, I get the error message: "File 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\SALESPROD2.TXT' does not contain data." It is a large text file, 2.14 GB. Before you say the file's too large, I did check the Access specifications and discovered the max database size is 2 GB. However, I believe this file--when imported into Access--will only be around 1.8 GB. I use as my example the SALESPROD1.TXT file which was 1.10 GB yet, after importing, created just a 811 MB Access database.

If the reason is in fact that the text file is just too darn big, then how can I get around that? Is there a way I can split up the text file first with some type of text editor that can handle huge files like that? (I don't want to have to buy and learn another database program because the report I'm working on is due in two days.)

:(

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back