Transposing(?) data from row into multiple shorter columns

Tao86

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am attempting to create a training book for work. There are sheets for the coaches to log hours in 15 minute increments using a number to show where in the process the trainee is, 1-4 specifically. There is also a cumulative sheet where everything from the various daily sheets would be tracked. But it would be in a shorter 4 cell column that goes multiple rows, and I am unable to change the formatting for those sheets due to offline documents. I am trying to figure out a formula that would autofill the cumulative sheet. It would need to be able to skip blank cells. Also sometimes the numbers do drop back down if the coach thinks the trainee for whatever reason isn't retaining things as well that day so it would need to accurately reflect the numbers listed in the rows, not be an average.

I have tried transpose, index, lookup, and probably more that I've forgotten. Is it possible to do this using a formula or do I have to do VBA?

Attachments

• example_Page_1.jpg
    example_Page_1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 14

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hi

Requesting some clarifications

Can you please let know

Which of the tables is the summary and which is the individual coach's entry
What do the four rows in the second table signify

1,2,3,4 etc in the tables are the trainees, I assume

Upvote 0
Hi

Requesting some clarifications

Can you please let know

Which of the tables is the summary and which is the individual coach's entry
What do the four rows in the second table signify

1,2,3,4 etc in the tables are the trainees, I assume
The top table would be a coach's entry for the day with each 4 boxes essentially being an hour. The bottom table would be a cumulative tracker, and again 4 cells would be an hour. Basically how much time on that particular task the trainee has managed. The numbers represent how well the trainee understands the task.

Upvote 0
Hi Tao

Sorry for the late reply
My understanding is
The four cells in bottom (cumulative) table which make an hour
1,2,3,4,5,6,7 in the bottom (cumulative) table signify hours

Basis this, please find below

Book4
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRS
1Coach entry
215 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min15 min
3For trainee 1task 122232323
4task 2222
5task 322
6task 42222
7task 5
10Cum tracker
11Hours1234567
12For trainee 1task 1(3 hr min)22 
14Task nametask 122 
15row no333 
16Last entry colZIndex Helper
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D12:F15D12=IFERROR(VALUE(MID(TEXTJOIN("",,INDIRECT("C"&$B$15&":"&$B$16&$B$15)),D17,1)),"")
B14B14=LEFT(B12,4)&" "&IFERROR(MID(B12,6,2)*1,MID(B12,6,1)*1)
B15B15=ROW(B3)-1+MATCH(B14,B3:B7,0)
F17:F20F17=E17+4

Upvote 0
Solution
I don't understand how you got that formula. Could you explain it to me? I also don't understand why the other formulas are included?

For the first formula, the iferror part skips the blank cells correct? I'm not familiar with any of the other formulas.

Upvote 0
Hi Tao

First, the task no (task 1, task 2 etc) have been identified, along with the row in which the tasks are there
These are the formulae in B14 and B15 respectively

Next, for a specific task (task 1 in this case), INDIRECT takes input from B15 (the relevant row no, 2 in this case) to find the cells

The cells as identified by INDIRECT have been concatenated using TEXTJOIN, so that the blank entries get skipped

The MID section of the formula counts the order in which the numbers appear (skipping the blanks- which has been done by TEXTJOIN)

The index helper (row 17 to 20) gives the input for which entry has to be taken---> 1,2,3....

VALUE is for converting this into a number
In case an entry has not been made (eg: we are looking for the 9th 15 min slot, but the corresponding entry is blank), VALUE will return an error
In order to avoid that errror, IFERROR has been put

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back