Transpose variable data from a single column into multiple columns based on indent level

Meta1

Hello helpful excel folk!

I have been given a data export to cross reference that looks like it was created as some kind of pivot and the only data structures are the cell indents in the first column.

I have already used a small VBA script to populate the indent level of the cell data and now I am struggling to transpose that data based on each group of cells between indent level 0's while iterating through the other indent levels in the group. If there was a standard number of rows or indent levels it would probably be easy but this has variable numbers of locations and pages under each company.

Here is an example of the data i have with the indent level and what i am trying to have the resulting data look like:

DataTimeIndentLevel
Company 190
Location 1
Page 1
Page 2​
Page 3​
Company 240
Location 1
Page 1
Location 2
Page 1
Location 3
Page 1

<tbody>
</tbody>

CompanyLocationPageTime
Company 1Location 1Page 12
Company 1Location 1Page 21
Company 1Location 1Page 36
Company 2Location 1Page 11
Company 2Location 2Page 12
Company 2Location 3Page 11

<tbody>
</tbody>

Any insight you can give me to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

-Meta1

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
This appears to work on your basic data ????
Results start "G1"
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG26Jan36
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dent1 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String,[/COLOR] Dent2 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String,[/COLOR] Dent3 [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String,[/COLOR] c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Txt [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]String[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A2"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
ReDim Ray(1 To Rng.Count, 1 To 4)
Ray(1, 1) = "Company": Ray(1, 2) = "Location": Ray(1, 3) = "Page": Ray(1, 4) = "Time"
c = 1
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Rng = Range(Range("A1"), Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
[COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
.CompareMode = vbTextCompare

[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] Dn [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Rng
Dn.Offset(, 3) = Dn.IndentLevel
[COLOR="Navy"]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Case[/COLOR] Dn.IndentLevel
    [COLOR="Navy"]Case[/COLOR] 1: Dent1 = Dn.Value: Dent2 = "": Dent3 = ""
    [COLOR="Navy"]Case[/COLOR] 3: Dent2 = Dn.Value
    [COLOR="Navy"]Case[/COLOR] 6: Dent3 = Dn.Value
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] Select
Txt = Dent1 & Dent2 & Dent3
[COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Dent1 <> "" And Dent2 <> "" And Dent3 <> "" [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not .Exists(Txt) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
        c = c + 1
        Ray(c, 1) = Dent1
        Ray(c, 2) = Dent2
        Ray(c, 3) = Dent3
        Ray(c, 4) = Dn.Offset(, 1).Value
        .Add Txt, Nothing
    [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Dn
Range("G1").Resize(c, 4) = Ray
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another option:
Hope your data is not too big.

Code:
[FONT=lucida console][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR] a1085172a()
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1085172-transpose-variable-data-single-column-into-multiple-columns-based-indent-level.html[/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] i [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR], j [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR], n [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] rng [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range
Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]False[/COLOR]
n = Range([COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR] & Rows.count).[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR](xlUp).Row

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] n
    j = n + i + [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] Cells(i, [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR])
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR]: Cells(j, [COLOR=brown]"E"[/COLOR]).Resize([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]).Value = Cells(i, [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR]).Resize([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]).Value
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]: Cells(j, [COLOR=brown]"F"[/COLOR]).Resize([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]).Value = Cells(i, [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR]).Resize([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]).Value
        [COLOR=Royalblue]Case[/COLOR] [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]: Cells(j, [COLOR=brown]"G"[/COLOR]).Resize([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]).Value = Cells(i, [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR]).Resize([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]).Value
    [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Select[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = n + [COLOR=crimson]4[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] n + n + [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Cells(i, [COLOR=brown]"E"[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] Cells(i, [COLOR=brown]"E"[/COLOR]) = Cells(i - [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"E"[/COLOR])
    [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] Cells(i, [COLOR=brown]"F"[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR] Cells(i, [COLOR=brown]"F"[/COLOR]) = Cells(i - [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=brown]"F"[/COLOR])
[COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

Range([COLOR=brown]"I"[/COLOR] & n + [COLOR=crimson]4[/COLOR] & [COLOR=brown]":I"[/COLOR] & n + n + [COLOR=crimson]2[/COLOR]).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delete
Range([COLOR=brown]"E2:I"[/COLOR] & n + [COLOR=crimson]3[/COLOR]).Delete
Range([COLOR=brown]"E1:H1"[/COLOR]) = Application.Transpose(Application.Transpose(Split([COLOR=brown]"Company Location Page Time"[/COLOR])))
Columns([COLOR=brown]"I"[/COLOR]).Delete
Application.ScreenUpdating = [COLOR=Royalblue]True[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/FONT]

Upvote 0
MickG and Akuini thank you very much for sharing your expertise. Akuini, I did manage to get your code to run and it worked perfectly. My data set isn't that big so it didn't take too long. Mick, I am eager to test out your code as well even though I have a working solution just so I can learn more things about VBA code.. right now it all looks like wizardry. I got it to spit out the headers and I see the new column with indent data but the data didn't populate. I am no VBA expert and probably doing something fundamentally wrong with it. I put the code into a module and went to A1 on the sheet and back to VBA to run sub. Is that how the code is meant to be used?

Cheers,
Meta1

Upvote 0
Mick, thank you for that example file. I see what I was doing wrong and got your code to work! Many thanks again to you and Akuini for sparing me some gray hairs, it would have taken me quite some time to figure out how to do that and now I have two different strategies to learn from.

Cheers,
Meta1

Upvote 0
Such a good question!

It looks like you were trying to unPivot a report created by a Compact Pivot Table.
I use the nutilities add-in to do this -- it handles a variable number of columns and header rows.

It can be downloaded here: http://www.iwishexcel.com/

Once installed, hit Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Enter within Excel to bring up the instructions and then checkout the UnPivot-Compact nutility on the Author's Favorites tab.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back