Transferring Table Data between DB's

jim may

Using Access 2013 here.

I built for a client a simple single-user DB - (with the tables NOT SPLIT into a separate DB).

Since then, on my Office copy I have UPDATED the Objects, Code, etc....

In order for my client to get the benefit of the IMPROVED APP I know I just need to
get them to send me a current copy of the File, and Immediately TRANSFER THE DATA
from their current data tables INTO my REVSED DB (Tables ONLY).

ACCESS scares me to death... The is a simple thing to do, but I do not know the BEST method of performing this. Quick turnaround is of course necessary, since as long as I have the DB, they must either have to WAIT and enter no data, OR continue to use, AND THEN have to re-enter the same data (AGAIN) to be up to date.

Can someone assist me in accomplishing this today? :)

Regards,

Jim

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
I think you have described an excellent reason why it is always a good idea to split your database - then these changes are easy, as you can easily update the front-end without having to jump through these type of hoops. It isn't too late to do so. Just split each one (the old one the client has, and the new one you worked on), and then give the client the new front-end and re-link it to their existing back-end.

Other big advantages to using the Split DB method is there is also no down-time (while you move data), increased stability, and they can easily share it with more users, if that need ever arises.

If for whatever reason you want to keep it as a single database, there are a few different ways you update the data. Probably the easiest way would be to get a current copy from them, delete the data tables in your new database, then import the data tables from the current copy to your new working copy (you can import tables from another existing Access database just as easily as you can from an Excel or Text file).

Upvote 0
Thanks Joe4

You say -- Probably the easiest way would be to get a current copy from them, delete the data tables in your new database, then import the data tables from the current copy to your new working copy (you can import tables from another existing Access database just as easily as you can from an Excel or Text file).

1) get a current copy from them. Done!
2) delete the data tables in your new database. Do you mean (as you say) delete the tables OR DO YOU MEAN (it seems to me) To Delete any previous records
from your Updated and Revised database (The one that I referred to as being the one that has the updated Objects and code) which I want them to send back to them once I get the tables updated with the data they send me (their current copy). It seems like if I delete the tables it might destroy the links that exist between the tables and all my objects.... HELP!!

Upvote 0
so the table name and table structure has changed in the new improved db ?

oh, man
you're screwed

if the names and structure has stayed the same then he means actually delete the TABLES, not the records in the new db
them import the old tables into the new db

since the table names and structures are the same no links will be broken

but if the namea and structures have changed :(

Upvote 0
Jim,

Do the following to the new database you created, assuming the table names in your new version are exactly the same as the are on the old one:
- Make a copy of it (that way if anything goes wrong, you still have this copy to back to).
- Actually delete the tables in your new database (so they no longer exist in the Objects/Tables section)
- Re-import the tables from the other database from the client that has they "up-to-date" data
- Check a few queries to make sure they still work

If you delete the tables and re-import them without doing anything else in between, I believe it should still work. If not, you still have the good copy, so you haven't lost anything.

Upvote 0
James -- The Table Names or the Table Structure is identical, No Changes. Thanks for your input

Upvote 0
So, did my suggestion work?

Upvote 0
Joe4, Sorry not to get back to you,,, got interrupted ...

Yes, Everything worked out FINE!!

Thanks to you,

Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damav78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back