Track Changes to Single Table

nickwilshaw

Hi Guys,

I hope this is comparatively straight forward but as I have very little experience with Access this is proving to be a bit hard for me.

Basically, I am trying to get a record of all changes made to existing data within an Access table. (Pls note that I only require details of the changes made to existing records ie those that have had amendments made to them as opposed to new ones created by the user). Furthermore, all I require is the changed field name, old value, new value and date: I am not interested in who made the change or any other info.

I require this as I am writing a procedure in Excel that will produce invoices from the Excel output of this table and I base the procedure solely upon said output.

At the moment, I can generate the invoices based on the information as a snapshot but if, say, the amount of the debt or the rate charged were changed, I would need this information to bill correctly over the previous 90 day period.

Lastly, I would like to avoid changing existing table(s) if poss and have the output to a new table which I can just import to Excel.

I hope this is reasonably clear and thanks in advance for your help.

Good Weekend

Nick

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
I would say create another table that would be the snapshot of the first. Then as the first is changed, you can compare the two tables and invoice the differences... After that you copy the values again from the first table to the second, so that the next time you want to look at it, you'll only see new changes..

Upvote 0
I find Access reports produce a much better Invoice that Excel can. Excel really is not a report writer.

FWIW: I use Access's report to print data form Excel because Access can do a much better job ten Excel.

About tracking changes:
What you want to do it often referred to as an Audit Trail in the database world.

Here is are some examples:
Audit Trail
Audit Trail for Access 2000
Audit Trail Database - Made SUPER Simple

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just4jeffrey

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back