Total newbie to Access

Xro

Hi all
im a total newbie to Access, usually use Excel, but know my boss wonts a Database and i havnt got a clue , So if someone could help me id be more than happy, the problem is this.
We have a weekly production plan up till now this was a excel file now it has to be a datenbank its built up like this, Produktion week, Day (Mon - Sun), Shift (Earlys, Lates, Nights), Band (1-10) and personal per Band.
I realise this might be a big project, (my Excel workbook took3 mth), but if someone could point me in the right direction, especially with the querys i could try and fight my way through the rest. Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
First try File>Get External data and import your Excel workbook.

This is assuming that you have column headings. Produktion etc and that each row in the workbook is one record.

Upvote 0
well that just imports the whole worksheet, which does not really help me.
the only data that stays the same is the weekday, band nr and the shift.
the artikle to be produced changes at least every week somtimes 3 to 4 times a week

Upvote 0
Xro said:
well that just imports the whole worksheet, which does not really help me.
the only data that stays the same is the weekday, band nr and the shift.
the artikle to be produced changes at least every week somtimes 3 to 4 times a week
I would first go to Creat New Table Wizard - and setup your table first (in Design View). All you have to do is just as in Excel, create a column and then choose it's format.

i.e. you would create a column for "Shift". Choose "text" as the data type. Then make it a drop-down list w/ the option of Early, Late or Night and set it as a required field. This now creates a column called Shift and one of the above mentioned selections must be chosen.

see where I am going with this? The first step is to set up your table in Access just as in Excel.

The easiest way to be honest is to Import the excel sheet. It will import your settings, column headers, etc. Then just go into the datasheet view of TABLES and delete all the entries (since you said they change and apparently you mean you don't need the data on the spreadsheet). That way your table is now setup how you need it - and begin inputting data as needed.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys was stood infront of a wall there, But your post
the datasheet view of TABLES and delete all the entries
Maven4Champ

sort of knocked the wall down, I had a printout of my worksheet in front of me and was thinking, How the hell im gona enter all that. Then read your post, looked at the printout again ignoring the Data and bingo, things looked a lot simpler, Thanks for the virtual kick

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvan07

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back