TopValues

Cmacvp16

How do I query monthly values and return the Top 5 values in each month.

I am trying to list the Top 5 values in each month. Instead I am getting the top 5 values overall (globally) verses the Top 5 for Jan, the Top 5 for Feb...

Do I need to run 12 seperate queries for each month of the year?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
To get this I would click on the sum icon on the tool bar "the thing that looks like an E". Where the month is choose Group by and I am sure you already have the criteria for the top 5.

Upvote 0
No, you don't. It is a rather lengthy explanation though, so could you tell me if you have a field with the month in it, or if you are getting the month from a date field? Also, if you want to provide the names of your month and date fields, as well as your table name then I will use them in my example.

-rh

Upvote 0
Russell, I see what you are getting at.

Sometimes I forget that not everyone has their data like I do. In most of my databases I have a date table, and one of they fields is month. I use this for grouping purposes. But if he does not I can see the delima with my response.

What would you do if is a short date? Create a calculated field and do a Len Left thing to seperate the month and group this.

Upvote 0
Yes I have a date (mm/dd/yyy) field in a Customers Table. I used a query to group the daily values into monthly totals.

I need to retrieve the Top 5 customers per month not the Top 5 custormers per year.

Upvote 0
Well, here's one way.

You'll need to actually make a table with your monthly values (just make the query where you group the daily values into monthly totals a Make-Table Query). For this example, I'll assume the following about your new table (change to your names as appropriate):

Table Name: tblMonthlyTotals
Month Field: fldMonth
Value Field: fldValues
Customer Field: fldCustomer

Ok, now make a new query based on the Monthly Totals table you created. Add the fields you want in the query, and sort by Month (either ascending or descending - whatever your preference is) and then by fldValues -descending.

Now, right-click on the table in the query design view and select Properties. Under Alias, type X.

Now add a field in your query something like this:

Rank: (Select Count(*) from tblMonthlyTotals Where ([fldMonth]=X.[fldMonth]) and ([fldValues]> X.[fldValues]))+1

And in the criteria for this field, put <= 5.

This should give you the top 5 customers by month.

HTH,

Russell

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvp2262

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back