Top of text gets cut off in newer Excel versions when printing / converting to PDF

kjhung

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,
I've been experiencing a problem where Excel 365 is cutting off the top of my text when I print, or convert to PDF. In contrast, when I use my old 2010 version (on an olllld computer) to save as PDF from the SAME .xslm file, the text is not cut off. The image shows an example. For my purposes, it's crucial for text to be fit as snugly as possible without having edges cut off, so I'd really like to not increase the row height beyond what's necessary. Is there a way to print / convert to PDF without text being cut off, without having to resuscitate my old Excel 2010 every time?
Many thanks for all your advice.
KJ Hung
cutoff example.jpg

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
It looks like the font on your 4th row of text is smaller in the 2010 version.

Upvote 0
Hi Joe, yes, I have it set so that the text size automatically shrinks to fit in the cells, so sometimes the text is bigger, sometimes smaller, depending on how much stuff there is. The problem is that given the same text size, the 365 version cuts off the tops, but the 2010 version does not. Thanks very much for weighing in!

Upvote 0
Do you have the same printer drivers installed on both computers? I’m wondering if they’re different, perhaps they have different margin capabilities. In the past I found that the printer driver affected my pdf output but not sure if that’s still the case.

Upvote 0
Wow, I did not know that printer drivers could have this effect... On both computers I'm using the "Save As" function, which never struck me as having anything to do with a "print" function...

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Top of text gets cut off in newer Excel versions when printing / converting to PDF
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Many thanks @Fluff for pointing this out!! I posted on here first and it didn't occur to me until much later in the day that I could also post in another forum, so I neglected to check to see if there were cross-posting rules. I appreciate your setting me straight!
@Candyman8019, I've always just used the "Save as" function on both computers, so unfortunately that method of PDF conversion does not solve the problem of the top of text getting cut off. I've also tried print to PDF and directly printing from the spreadsheet, and there is the cutting off problem in both of those methods, too, when I try it with Excel 365.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul330

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back