Top 5 records in a report based on a table

Tlewman

Board Regular
Is there a way to display only the top five records in a report that it based on a table. I need to show the top 5 suppliers based on $ sales by region. I have the filter turned on and am prompted for the region number, then I have sorted by $ sales (desc). I cannot figure out how to bring back only t he top 5- I know how to make this work when based on a query- is this possible when based on a table?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I know how to make this work when based on a query- is this possible when based on a table?
If you know how to do this based on a query, why do you need to do it based on a table? Reports can be run from queries just as easily as they can be from tables. Simply change the Control Source of your report to pull from the query instead of the table.

Upvote 0
I am trying to do this without having to build the queries (there will be a bunch because I will have multiple reports based on this same table). I have a HUGE database and I am almost at my size limit ( I really need to move this to SQL but have not had the time or the expertise).

Upvote 0
If you are looking to return only a subset of table in your report, you have to use a query, by definition, whether you create the query directly in the Control Source or whether you build it in the Query object.

If you base the report directly on the table, you can't return a subset of the table, only everything in it. Queries, by definition, are what you use to limit/filter the results you want to return.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majbizzaki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back