To Excel or not to Excel

Goldenballs

I have to set up an 'application' to measure the performance of approx. 70 sales advisors. Each adviser has 10 of their calls monitored per month, and are marked on 30 different questions per call.

The application must be able to calculate scores per adviser, but also be able to drill down to see scores for each team and the department as a whole.

I've tried setting something up in Excel, which looks good - but one workbook is over 22.M, and I need eleven workbooks!! My companies shared drive simply cannot cope.

Can anyone advise whether I should ditch Excel? Will Visual Basic be able to cope or should I switch to Access?

Help!!!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hi,

22 Mb seems very large for an Excel workbook. Workbooks of that size are normally destined for corruption, and the loss of your data.

My personal opinion is that any data amounting to this volume should be stored in a database - which is designed for this purpose. You can then query that database and analyse the results in Excel in the way of a pivot table or query, without making Excel do something it's not designed for.

If you have Access available then I'd recommend you use it. Make sure that your database is well designed with your data organised efficiently (try to reduce data duplication whilst not making your database too involved).

Good luck to you mate. If you have any questions then don't hesitate to post either here or in the Access forum of this site.

Upvote 0
If your PivotTables are sharing the same source data you can reduce your workbook size by sourcing all your PivotTables from a single PivotTable. Select each of your PivotTables (in turn) and choose the PivotTable Wizard. [< Back ] to Step 1 of 3 and select the "Another PivotTable report..." option.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sfairbro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back