To answer or not to answer...

Alan_P

Hi All,

Just wondering what peoples general opinion is of newbies (such as myself) trying to give answers to posts?

I'm trying to learn VBA, but it's difficult without a practical problem to work on so I've been trying to figure out peoples questions on this forum (and most of the time my answers are not the best way of doing things or just plain wrong).

I'm starting to think that the real Gurus are more like to see/answer a zero reply post?

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are...

Cheers,
Alan.

I think trying to answer questions is a great way to learn, and that not answering to leave a thread pristine while waiting for the perfect answer is a disservice to both the OP and yourself.

I've viewed some of your solutions, Alan, and mostly they are good in my opinion.

Go on - have a go. I would just advise you to test code unless you are sure that it will work.

There are several MrExcel MVPs here but we are not here 24/7, we may not know the answer :rolleyes: (or the best answer), and we may be involved in responding to ongoing queries.

As Stephen said, solving problems on here is a great way to hone your Excel skills.

I was wondering about this same thing actually, I joined to learn more, and in a short while I have!
I will continue to try my best aswell! :)

Cheers guys :) I'll keep at it then... Eventually I might be helpful :LOL:

I'm trying to learn VBA, but it's difficult without a practical problem to work on so I've been trying to figure out peoples questions on this forum (and most of the time my answers are not the best way of doing things or just plain wrong).
That is the very reason I started participating in the forum and also the experience I had for quite a while. If you post a solution and somebody posts a better one, try to learn from that better one. And remember, just because somebody is an MVP or has thousands of posts, it doesn't mean that every solution they post will be the "best" solution for the problem. Keep at it! :)

Hi Alan_P,
. Good Thread Alan! I was thinking exactly as you a week or two ago- I guess I am a week or two ahead of you. I agree with everything that has been said here, especially the bit about learning most when someone posts a better solution. I’ve managed now to answer a couple fully alone, but I learn the most when I destroy the Profi’s code with green comment graffiti until I understand it. (I have understood most of them eventually!)
. And anyway, I guess like me you mainly reply to beginners- and they can benefit from learning when they see first the beginner’s solution and then later the Profi’s. -Team work!! – There are some very nice guys out there and you’ll find that some will check your replies and then possibly suggest a better one. You’ll be chuffed like I was when you bring a few alone to a successful end.
. The point about the first reply / zero post thing and getting your code right is, I think, very important. I always double check that my code works (In XL 2003 2007 and 2010) so that the OP has at least a working solution from me if I reply first.

Alan_E
Bavaria

. And anyway, I guess like me you mainly reply to beginners- and they can benefit from learning when they see first the beginner’s solution and then later the Profi’s. -Team work!! – There are some very nice guys out there and you’ll find that some will check your replies and then possibly suggest a better one. You’ll be chuffed like I was when you bring a few alone to a successful end.
. The point about the first reply / zero post thing and getting your code right is, I think, very important. I always double check that my code works (In XL 2003 2007 and 2010) so that the OP has at least a working solution from me if I reply first.

Alan_E
Bavaria

P.s. Always "warn the OP" that you are a beginner, as I do, and advise him if he has the choice to take the code from the Profi.!!

Thanks Alan_E/Peter_S!

I do always check my code works on my test book but often there is something I don't see/think of like the data being a date, blanks or merged cells... I think I need to start asking more questions before diving straight in coding :)

How about putting
:eek:WARNING! NOVICE CODE:eek: at the start of my posts :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back