Time

billandrew

Good afternoon all

My question is how would I enter time ( Hours:Min ) and calculate the total.

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
What you need to understand about dates and times in excel is…

a date is just a number representing the number of days passed since 1/1/900...and then formated in a way that we recognise as a date. So, for instance, today (Sat 02 Apr 2016) is actually 42462

Time is actually a decimal part of 1 (day), so 06:00 AM is 0.25, 12 noon is 0.5 and 18:00 (or 6 PM) is 0.75

So to subtract 1 time from another, it would be as simple as =B1-A1
where B1 = end time and A1 = start time

You would then just need to format it to whatever you want, to show what you need

Upvote 0
What you need to understand about dates and times in excel is…

a date is just a number representing the number of days passed since 1/1/900...and then formated in a way that we recognise as a date. So, for instance, today (Sat 02 Apr 2016) is actually 42462

Time is actually a decimal part of 1 (day), so 06:00 AM is 0.25, 12 noon is 0.5 and 18:00 (or 6 PM) is 0.75

So to subtract 1 time from another, it would be as simple as =B1-A1
where B1 = end time and A1 = start time

You would then just need to format it to whatever you want, to show what you need

Not sure if this answers my question about entering and calculating time in Access.

I would like to have a field which documents the time performed to complete a function and then calculate the total.

Upvote 0
Can you explain a little more of what you are trying to do? Maybe give some samples?
The reason I mention that is because I am trying to figure out if you are just trying to add time, or date and time.
Time is stored as a part of a date in Access.

Upvote 0
Sure

I am attempting to document the actual time in hours and minutes a function is completed and calculate. Ex.

Field = Time to Complete - The user enters 10, 15, 30 or 60 minutes. At the end of a time period, week, month, calculate the total time to complete.

Upvote 0
What is the Data Type of the field you are storing this information into?

Upvote 0
If you choose the Date/Time data type, you can choose a Time format. Then all your math should work the way you want it.
Just note that it will still save a Date component, you just won't be able to see it. If you leave off the date part, it defaults to 1/1/1900.
(Excel and Access store dates as numbers, specifically the number of days since 1/1/1900 and time is just a fraction of a day).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pnkundalia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back