Time formatting issues [hh]:mm

ClaireD

Hi there,

I a trying to add some time totals using sumif. The formula is as follows:

=SUMIFS('SheetA'!$H$14:$H$143,'Sheet B'!H$14:H$143,"TRUE")

Sheet A's reference is looking at a column that works out the time difference between two columns. The two columns are set as hh:mm. The time difference column in the formula is hh:mm.

The formula is working well and is only adding the values I want added. However I cannot get the cell formatting correct. When I try [hh]:mm I get values that are way too big (by about 100 times!). If I try hh:mm I get stupidly small values.

So one example is:
One cell is looking to add the following times hh:mm:
02:28
02:26
02:00
01:10
03:28
01:39
01:40
01:11
01:25
02:26

<tbody>
</tbody>

The formula is spitting out 259:35 when formatted is [hh]:mm and 19:35 when formatted as hh:mm

I have now completely confused myself and don't even know what the right answer should be!

Thanks,

Claire

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi,

Don't know what went wrong but neither of your answers is correct. Although the second one is nearly correct but has the minutes wrong.
Correct answer is 19:53 and formatting it with [] wouldn't change the result.
If it does, some other formula's (not included in your post) are not correct.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I would guess that the underlying cell value (Which includes a date) are all a day different from each other. Format the cells with the time in them to 'dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm' they should all have the date 00/01/1900.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Firstly thanks for your suggestions. I have checked the date as per stumac's suggestion but there are no dates in the formula.

I have double checked all my other formulas and none are impacting on this total so that hasn't solved the issue. Sorry jorismoerings!

Any more ideas?

Upvote 0
Ok I have worked out why that value wasn't showing 19:53. The ranges of the formula were incorrect.

Anyway, it works like a dream until the value goes over 24 hours. How can I fix this?

Upvote 0
Ok I have worked out why that value wasn't showing 19:53. The ranges of the formula were incorrect.

Anyway, it works like a dream until the value goes over 24 hours. How can I fix this?

Hi Claire

I don't see any problem. You had the wrong ranges and got a wrong result.

Now if the ranges are correct you should get a good result with the format [h]:mm

... or, post an example like you did in post #1 and the result you are getting so that we can test.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soroosh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back