This seems like a numeric error to me, but does anybody have an explanation.

TomCon

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Its hard to explain, but i try to lay it out here. All the data comes from big tables, so that i cannot really post a mini-section of the worksheet that can be worked with.

I have an array formula which attempts to count the values between two tables that are equal. Its results (SPILL) are in Col 2 of the paste below. As you see, the SUM it returns 26. The array formula is:
Excel Formula:
=SUM(IF(OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)-OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)=0,1))
The problem is in row 26 of the result, where the array formula in Col 2 returns FALSE, but in every other way that i can think of to test, it appears that it should return TRUE.

Here is a screen shot of 30 rows and 7 columns, and the explanation of the columns.
Co1 1 - numbers 1 to 30 for the index function to use (column R in the formulas)
Col 2 - An array formula that spills its results to 30 rows. It is the above array formula, without the SUM() function
Excel Formula:
=IF(OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)-OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)=0,1)
Col 3 - Index to the values that the array function gets from the table rng_data
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),$R37,1)
Col 4 - Index to the values that the array function gets from the table rng_wt
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),$R37,1)
Col 5 - Difference Col 3- Col 4. as you see, row 26 returns 0. All other rows return 0 if Col 2 is 1. I have increased decimal to 16, and it is 0s all the way
Excel Formula:
=T37-U37
Col 6 - A logical function that tests whether the values in the two tables are equal. Row 26 returns TRUE. All other row consistent with Col 2.
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),$R37,1)=INDEX(OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),$R37,1)
Col 7 - Absolute value of the difference in Col 2 and Col 3 < .00001. Row 26 returns TRUE. All other rows consistent with Col 2.
Excel Formula:
=ABS(T37-U37)<0.00001

Does anybody have an explanation for what is going on here, why row 26, when equality is tested by the array formula returns FALSE, but when the same data is tested in 3 other ways, TRUE is the result? If it was just a matter of the precision of the number, would not all these other tests also all return FALSE? Should not row 26 be consistent for all of columns 2, 5, 6, 7?

Thank you if you can offer some thoughts on this!

1722112024720.png

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Here is the issue: Floating-point arithmetic may give inaccurate result in Excel - Microsoft 365 Apps

Column 2 is calculated as the difference between two numbers. In a spare cell, put the formula:

Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)-OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)

And then test for equality with 180.30. You should find that there is a very tiny discrepancy?

Upvote 0
Solution
Here is the issue: Floating-point arithmetic may give inaccurate result in Excel - Microsoft 365 Apps

Column 2 is calculated as the difference between two numbers. In a spare cell, put the formula:

Excel Formula:
=OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)-OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)

And then test for equality with 180.30. You should find that there is a very tiny discrepancy?
Thanks so much. That article was very helpful...but one thing still strikes me as "odd" and possibly inconsistent on the part of Excel itself, not just the way numbers are represented.

I fixed my issue using the ROUND function, as suggested in the article.
Excel Formula:
=SUM(IF(ROUND(OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),10)-ROUND(OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),10)=0,1))
and that gives me the "correct" answer for all entries in the 30-length array.

The thing that i find interesting is that it seems that the "inexactness of binary representation of numbers" does not seem to work the same, with the same number, in Excel, depending on the function that is referencing the number. I illustrate the above issue here, much more simply.
1. If i access the cells directly
Excel Formula:
=data!B1386=wt!C1386
==> Returns TRUE
2. If i use the INDEX function
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),25,1)=INDEX(OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1),25,1)
==> returns TRUE
(note formula 2 references the same cells as formula 1)
3. <<BUT>>
If i use the original array formula, and let it SPILL, the 25th value in the SPILL array is FALSE!!
Excel Formula:
=IF(OFFSET(rng_data[[#Headers],[Wt]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)-OFFSET(rng_Wt[[#Headers],[WtCalc]],TodayRwCal,0,-30,1)=0,1)

So, that strikes me as odd, it does not seem to be 100% attributable to the way binary numbers are (sometimes inexactly) stored, but also something to do with the specific comparison formula that one uses in Excel.

The moral of the story for me seems to be to use the ROUND function in equality comparisons to 0.

Thanks much for your post!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back