Things Your Boss says........

dataworf

I created a spreadsheet for my boss, using the formula I learned here to calculate the length in days that trucks have been in inventory. It was wonderful if I do say so myself..(and thanks again for the help with the formula)..Formatted into perfect columns...I get a note across the top that says "put in Excel Spreadsheet". I called to ask what he meant, and found out that because I didn't have "those boxes" around every entry, it wasn't in a spreadsheet......Now he's amazed that it only took me a couple of minutes to "convert" it to a spreadsheet.....

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Now he's amazed that it only took me a couple of minutes to "convert" it to a spreadsheet.....
You blew it!!!

Every good programmer knows that when dealing with people like this, you must act like it is a huge ordeal to do it, and say that it will take days. Then when you give it to him later the same day, you will seem like a god!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Every good programmer knows that when dealing with people like this, you must act like it is a huge ordeal to do it, and say that it will take days. Then when you give it to him later the same day, you will seem like a god!
So true! When I used to work for the state, I had developed a rep about having some knowledge of Excel, and so other divisions would sometimes "borrow" me, after getting permission from my boss. One time a group came to me with a problem. They needed a sheet to analysis their data for a report to the state legislature that was due the next day. This was 11:00 AM. It was really no big deal, but they were clueless. I asked when they needed it and they said 3:00. I politely told them I couldn't possibly have it before 4:30 and they accepted that. During lunch, my boss asked me if I would be able to help them and I told him the story and about the 4:30 promise. He quickly asked if I could make that, to which I replied, it's already done. I'm just waiting till about 1:30 to give it to them. My boss just laughed and suggested I wait until at least 2:00

lenze

During lunch, my boss asked me if I would be able to help them and I told him the story and about the 4:30 promise. He quickly asked if I could make that, to which I replied, it's already done. I'm just waiting till about 1:30 to give it to them. My boss just laughed and suggested I wait until at least 2:00

Gotta' love it!

Smitty

(What they don't know = job security!)

A few days ago... the boss phones me: Felix, I want to mail this Powerpoint presentation to a client, but pages 3 and 7 may not be included. Is that possible?
Me: Simple, just highlight those pages, press delete and save the presentation (under another name).
Boss: That complicated! Can you do it for me before tomorrow evening?
Me: Sure... 8-)

So true! When I used to work for the state, I had developed a rep about having some knowledge of Excel, and so other divisions would sometimes "borrow" me

lenze

I have that rep around my office as well now... i do more for the accounting and admin departments in the way of macros for data analysis than i do CAD drafting for my own department... and of course you gotta play up the turn around time... i always tell them (pending the job) itll be about 3-5 days... it usually gets to them within 1-3 and voila I'm out to lunch with the manager, comptroller, assistant manager once a week... of course the only downside is the office nickname "macro-man" but thats not so bad when your eating steak for lunch :)

the kicker tho is having a categorized personal.xls with all your past work that u can just drag and drop into new projects...

A few days ago... the boss phones me: Felix, I want to mail this Powerpoint presentation to a client, but pages 3 and 7 may not be included. Is that possible?
Me: Simple, just highlight those pages, press delete and save the presentation (under another name).
Boss: That complicated! Can you do it for me before tomorrow evening?
Me: Sure... 8-)

I'm surprised s/he knew what PowerPoint was, as opposed to suggesting that you "fax" these (hands you papers) "documents".

I'm surprised s/he knew what PowerPoint was, as opposed to suggesting that you "fax" these (hands you papers) "documents".
LOL, I made that Powerpoint presentation myself years ago (although I quite hate that program) and saved it as a slide-show. But you're quite right, after I had done some changes to it two days ago (some phone numbers, mail addresses, etc... weren't up-to-date anymore as well AND or logo has changed) the boss said: print me a copy will ya.

I never ask why anymore since I know he likes paper, so I printed it.

Then he asked: why didn't you print a copy for yourself?
I replied: because I've already got it.
Boss: Where then?
Me: Well it's saved on my computer isn't it...
Boss: :huh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back