Things I'd like to see

riaz

Just some suggestions, don't know how many are workable or even considered improvements, but here goes:

1) When a new thread is started, could there be a checkbox or a dropdown list that must be completed before the thread is allowed to go on? This would categorise the query into VBA, Macro, Formula etc, so that people with the right experience or areas of interest would focus on those. For example, I'm totally lost in VBA, so I do not deign to answer those. However, I've read a number of posts that require VBA which I have had to leave. I would rather read those posts after they have been answered, so then I can learn something too.

2) Once the OP is satisfied with the solution he has had, could the option be given to mark the title with "Solved" or a tick or something? Sometimes you see a thread with one response that is a solution. Others, there are pages but still unresolved. It would help to decide whether to look at that thread or not.

3) Is it possible to have "bumped" threads not add to the replies count? That way, they would still remain unanswered and easier to spot.

4) ...er

5) That's it.

Riaz,

(1) and (2) have been debated before.

The general consensus is that, per (1), a lot of posters aren't sure what they want. As an example, there have been quite a few posts who say "I need some code to..." because they don't know things can be accomplished via formulas or other features of Excel (e.g. conditional formatting).

Similarly, per (2), "solved" doesn't mean that the best solution has been provided. It would be a disservice to the board and to the OP if something that "works" was not followed up by a more elegant solution that might exist.

I like the idea of (3), but I'm not sure if it's possible. I defer to the board's admins on that one...

Thank you for your reply, Oaktree.

I guess I'd just better learn VBA and index and match and all that jazz, then. I call it jazz because you guys (and ladies) are maestros making (work)sheet music (ouch!)

Maybe if one of the categories was puns, I could be a MrExcel MVP (most vile punster?)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamdan17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back