They've been explained, but still kinda amusing

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
how is the 2nd one explained?

i know it can be anything that is 4, 3, 3, 5 text characters long. but why does it do it?

This one is actually a real bug IMO. weak API function

...nobody can create a FOLDER...named as “CON”...At Microsoft the whole Team, couldn’t answer why this happened!

Then it must have been a really young team. I immediately remembered that CON was a DOS term and guessed that there might be some type of connection. I find it hard to believe that nobody in Microsoft remembered this. I wonder what "the whole team" meant? A team somewhere in India doing outsource work for MS? Or does "team" refer to folks back in Redmond?

Greg

Can't recall a DOS term but I did find this a bit weird.

If you open a command prompt and type CON and enter this is the error message.
' ' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Now where's that darn CON disappeared too?:)

CON was (is, I guess) short for CONSOLE. Like PRN or LPT1, you could use it to direct output or specify input. A common usage was COPY CON MYFILE.TXT and type in some text and then hit ^Z and [Enter] to save the file. Been a really, really long time since I've done that. And I was never a real DOS guru anyhow. Another fun thing - from the command prompt you can type EDIT MYFILE.TXT and pull up the predecessor to NotePad - the old DOS text editor. That takes me back to the Reagan years...

I haven't done the COPY CON thing in years either, but I just tried it at the command prompt in Windows 2000 and it still works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleH77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back