The Psychiatrists Chair

gingerafro

I need some help. I've been using Excel now for about 7 years. Not as long as many, but it is over a quarter of my life. I feel that I've become reasonably accomplished in formulas, pivot tables and programming.

The reason for this is that I used to do all of my firm's statsistics in excel. Over the last year I've discovered Access and now become proficient using that.

Great for the company and my time, but I feel like I'm neglecting Excel. We still have a casual thing going, but I need to make my relationship more fulfilling. I am concerned that soon we may suffer from irreconcilable differences. What can I do?

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
Have you discussed this with Excel? How do they feel about it? How do you feel discussing this very personal problem on an international forum?

Having seen the light of Access you won't regret turning away from your old faithful. Think of Excel as a comfort blanket. Something very handy and comforting in your youth and something you think you simply can't do without (if you are that way inclined), but as you have progressed in your knowledge of all things Microsoft, you need to face the truth. Repeat after me : "I have outgrown Excel". This is normal and you are not responsible for Excel's feelings. In any case Excel has moved on and has another poor soul in its' clutches.

I recommend a multi-table crosstab query to relieve you of your fascination and unrequited infatuation with Excel. How does that make you feel?

:lol:

Excel has been really good about it all. Despite the odd strop when I try to adjust a big pivot table, its always around when I need it.

I don't think that I will completely divorce Excel because it will cost me a lot, but keep it on the side to make things look nice every now and again. I may even try getting Excel and Access to talk to each other. In time they may become friends and get it on. Is this geeting weird now?

I think you are right that, in general, I have outgrown Excel, but will continue to post on MrExcel (when I can figure out how to stay logged in for longer than 5 minutes!)

I feel better after constructing the multi table crosstab. It truly is a joy to behold.

Having said all of the above. What happens when I make the move to SQL Server. I not sure I can cope with all three at once...

I wouldn't recommend you get Excel and Access to talk to eachother. Whilst it seems logical and entirely possible, they are merely fooling you into a false sense of security. It's either one or the other but to have both 'get it on' at the same time is delusional. To cure you of this delusion I prescribe a multi-tab form with integrated subforms and a smattering of VBA. However, that's not to say the old faithful can't be relied upon to keep the home fire burning. But it's Access you take to the parties. Try the Access forum sometime! As for courting SQL....that's a whole new topic!

Hi Andrew.
Thank you for your pearls of wisdom and indulging me in this topic. I feel that by talking about my software generated anxiety, I have gone a long way to relieving the burden.

Sound advice on the access front, but I've not yet explored vba, scripting and forms fully. I like what I see though, so will persevere.

I've had a look at the question of ethics poll in the lounge, and if this falls into the same category, then access must be unethical?

Ging

You two-timing b*stard! Go back to your first *true* love.

Excel is to Access as Angelina Jolie is to Nora Batty. :twisted:

I hope it isn't too late to change your miscreant behaviour...

A faithful Excel believer :wink:

Richard

Hi Richard.

I consider myself to have been well and truly chastised!
In fairness, I have just been creating a macro to automate views in a pivot table for less-than-able users, along with a dynamic chart.

Its not particularly high-level, but is something that access can't do.

I now feel that my actions are less that of a two-timer and a more of someone with a harem.

:-)

On a more serious note, I do think Access has its uses, but I much prefer to create presentational matter in Excel (even if the data being reported on comes from Access).

Richard

Absolutely agree.
We wouldn't take a spanner to knock in a nail would we? It would probably work for small nails, but could damage the spanner for its intended use later.

I'm feeling in quite an analagous mood today.

I think that my original post was due to the fact that I used to open excel almost as soon as my pc was up and running, but find myself opening it several hours into the day after spending time in Access. Plus I hadn't posted on here for a couple of weeks and so felt a bit rusty. I'll go back to the proper board now and see if there's someone I can help...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukmana_sam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back