The possibility to refine a search ?

ogringo

I'm fairly new here (and with excel) and as such my nomenclature isnt always exact, as are the explanations of my problems as well as my searches. Similarly I don't know much about the history of the board, and maybe this has been addressed before, although a quick search revealed nothing.

I think it would be useful to have two additional options on a search result page to:

1 Refine the Search if too many results are given

2 Start a new search if nothing seems appropriate

It would save ( me, at least) a bit of faffing around with browser buttons.

A good suggestion or not?

Cheers

ogringo

Don't know about your questions, but do you know you can type

SUMPRODUCT and SPEED and ...

or

SUMPRODUCT +SPEED

and get a list of topics restricted to having both keywords? Might help refine searches.

Hi Jon,

thanks for the reply.

I'd been using the logical AND / OR options, but for example one search returned 540 possibilities, so I had to go back and refine it further.

I'm one of those people who hate RTFM in hindsight, so have checked up on the help and what I can do with search option.

I'm sure as I use the board more and more I'll be able to improve my use of the search engine, and reach what I'm looking for a little faster.

However in those initial stages when I'm struggling to keep my head above the brown murky stuff its an option to keep moving forward (or at least sideways) rather than the continual stepping backwards.

cheers

ogringo

For non-VBA solutions, use Aladin Akyurek as the author..... :LOL: although he does have over 14000 posts.

it would be good to search on the emoticons as well - to see who are the lil devils, the headbangers, those always praying and the grinning green meanies ......and of course us alcoholics ... (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjaimes042510

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back