The Only Perfectly Working Control for Access

Err

Ctl-Alt-Del ->Task Manager

Select Access.exe

End Process

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
There's another:

In Access, Alt+F4 works too :-)

So, Access causes you some angst then? :lol:

Denis

So, Access causes you some angst then? :lol:
To say the least, last Friday, while iterating on a Recordset, in a relatively complex Access/Excel interface, and omitting .Movenext from a Do/While Not .EOF loop!! Let's see:

• CPU usage factor: 100%
    Access responding factor: Not present
I distinctly recall asking myself, 'What the [censored] is thing doing?!?!' :crash: :-?

Easy enough to fix, though, and to be sure, my bad. 8-) :lol:

rofl... Well look on the bright side. You could have experienced the joy of a runaway loop with this going on to:
Code:
Application.EnableCancelKey = xlDisabled
:-D

To say the least, last Friday, while iterating on a Recordset, in a relatively complex Access/Excel interface, and omitting .Movenext from a Do/While Not .EOF loop!! Let's see:

CPU usage factor: 100%
Access responding factor: Not present

I distinctly recall asking myself, 'What the [censored] is thing doing?!?!' Crash Confused

Easy enough to fix, though, and to be sure, my bad. Cool Lol
:lol: .MoveNext gets me more often than I care to mention... funny how fast you can create 50K records in Access :wink:

Denis

I won't touch "Access"

That "Busy Box" with all the arrows is the most rediculous thing I have seen in a long time.

Ok, I was a little flustered (this was a very complicated Access/Excel interface in my opinion, 3 Recordsets, 18 arrays, etc... And this was the simple way of doing this! :o ), but, I jest, actually... :lol:

Access, in my opinion, is one hell of a product. While at school, way back when, I used Paradox. I remember working through 5 am on project, and being half-blind when I was done...

Not being very sharp at the moment, I closed the DB. Game over. My 8 hours of contiguous work, gone, no prompts to save, no nothing, done like a dinner! And, there wasn't any user-friendly VBA Object model, that I recall...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, Access revolutionized the personal/light-weight DB market, pricing-wise... Pre Access, you were looking at Paradox for $600 a copy. Once Access came out, and a superior product at that, at $200 a copy, we all won.

This was a superior product at a superior price-point, and really helped the consumer by changing the market, in our favor. People still speak of Access in terms of predatory pricing, but I'm on board... Perhaps I'm still bitter about that one early morning in College...

Still, Access, like Excel, in my opinion, is an amazing program for what you pay for... I don't care for Access reports, at all, but its ability to house and work with huge amounts of data is both functional, user-friendly and impressive (for the money), in my opinion. :)

Pre Access, you were looking at Paradox for $600 a copy
I have also used FileMaker quite a bit, and it can compete with Access in quite a few areas. Unfortunately in Australia, it is almost invisible so there aren't too many FileMaker consultants making a good living. So I switched...

I also used Approach at one stage, under sufferance. I reckon Lotus left the words "Do Not" off the packaging. Waste of time -- and their website didn't have any help for Approach, except how to convert your Approach database to DB2...

For my money, it's Access all the way.

Denis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ckaplan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back