"The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'TableName' (Access 2013)

bryanm694

After searching through the forums, I was unable to find a thread that addresses and/or answers my question, so hopefully it is safe to post.

I am currently building a database for the company I work for that is fairly similar to the Northwind Database; however it is made from scratch so hopefully some of the common problems with that database won't find their way into mine.

My problem is that when I go to my Orders form, I pick a customer from the main form, which creates a record on the Orders table. When I then go to the subform to choose a product/line item, I get the error in my title ("The LinkMasterFields property setting has produced this error: 'The object doesn't contain the Automation object 'OrdersT.") as soon as a product is chosen from the drop down list.

My understanding of access is quite limited; I have had no formal training or education in this program; I don't do too bad with excel, though, so if an excel concept or terminology applies to this issue, maybe that will help.

Thank you in advance for any help regarding this issue!

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
.1. go to the design view of the form that doesn't work
.2. turn on the Property Sheet (icon on DESIGN ribbon or right-click anywhere on the form and choose Properties from the shortcut menu)
.3. click on your combobox to select it
.4. on the DATA tab of the property sheet, click in the RowSource property
.5. click on the Builder button (...) to the right
.6. change the grid to show actual fields from your table in the order that you want

If the table is wrong, right-click in a blank area in the top pane and choose Show Table ...

Get the right table and replace the columns of the grid with fields from the correct table

Then, click on the bad fieldlist, if there is one, and press DELETE on the keyboard

Check to make sure you see data -- click on the Datasheet view icon or right-click in a blank area of the query in the top pane and choose Datasheet View

Once you have what you want (be sure to specify Sort), Save and Close ~

Then Save your form, go to Form View and test it

> "understanding of access is quite limited"

watch the videos here:
Learn Access Playlist on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1B2705CCB40CA4CA

and read this:
Access Basics
Free 100-page book that covers essentials in Access

Upvote 0
Hmmmm.. I believe I correctly did what you said.. No matter what fields I choose (I even deliberately chose some that I knew weren't what I needed - just for testing purposes) I still get the same error. Your suggestion did raise a question, though. My combobox Row source is a combination of fields from my ProductCodesT table. Is access trying to find those fields in my OrdersT table rather than my ProductCodesT table?

Here is a screenshot of the combobox Query (I hope I uploaded this correctly - never done this before)
2lw2dlw.png

Sorry if that question is poorly worded. There are a number of fundamentals that I do not understand yet, I will most definitely be taking your advice and following the links you provided me as soon as I get the chance to.

Edit: There are 3 fields very similar to each other (CustomerCode, ProductCode, ProductName) These are unique fields with unique values used for sorting purposes, so I do not believe they are related to the issue

Upvote 0
look at the DisplayControl tab in the table design for all the fields ... perhaps there are lookup fields defined with invalid RowSources. Use the same method to fix them

Upvote 0
Your latest post led me to look here, I have a feeling that my row source is incorrect as that is the only place in my database that seems to make sense to my amateur self. I will be playing around with this for a while but I wanted to go ahead and post this picture to see if anything jumps out at you. I appreciate all you have done more than you know; I have been trying at this for too long!
33onzgw.png
[/IMG]
Edit: The purpose of that combobox is to populate the OrderDetailsT table with a new record once a customer has been selected (which creates a new record in the OrdersT table) However it does not work currently

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A new finding that I should have definitely found before now is this: If I attempt to add or edit a record in my OrderDetailsT table, it will not let me because it can't find its related record in my OrdersT table for some reason.

(I know it HAS to be something painfully obvious.. maybe I've just spent too much time looking at this).

I know that this error is directly related to the error in my original post so hopefully that helps with my issue.

Upvote 0
Hi Bryan,

thanks and you're welcome. What is the DefaultValue for OrderID on the General tab? Access 2013, unfortunately, assumes you want a default value of zero (0) for numbers ... you don't want ANY default value if the field is a foreign key (FK). If there is aa default value specified, delete it.

Also, it is a good idea to qualify the ID field in all tables ... OrderID, OrderDetailID, etc. Access creates a field simply called ID but it is better to change it.

Good database design says that each field should mean one thing only.

In the SQL statement in the RowSource, change to:
ORDER BY [OrdersT].ID
... but better to rename ID in OrdersT to OrderID :)

On the PropertySheet for the subform control for details on your orders form, specify OrderID in LinkMasterFields (after you change the name of course) and in LinkChildFields. This will cause OrderID to get filled out automatically.

After you change the name of ID to OrderID in the OrdersT table, be sure to change the ControlSource and Name properties to reflect the new name on forms and reports.

Upvote 0
My sincere apologies for abruptly leaving this thread unattended for longer than a week. Some things came up and I got moved to a new project temporarily. I don't know if this violates any forum rules by going back and replying to a thread this old but I just wanted to give you a huge THANK YOU.

I followed the instructions you gave me in your latest post and I have also watched some of your videos and read a couple of articles. As of right now, everything in the database works the way I need it to.

Thank you so much for your help and again, I apologize for not getting back with you sooner. Have a wonderful weekend!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back