The Great Excel Spreadsheet

MorganO

I thought you all would get a kick out of this article from TheDailyWTF.com (which focuses on poor programming practices). The article discusses one banks use of an excel spreadsheet as mission critcial application and what happened when they attempted to move it to a database solution.

Enjoy.

Owen

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
If the general principle at the end didn't pretty much sum up my working life, that would be hilarious! :)

Presumably everyone has experience of a "G.E.S" equivalent ?

At my old job we had one simply referred to as Tron ...

I applied for a job at a major bank (in this country anyway). They showed me their system for one of the major capital calcs (big bucks).

The entire thing was built in Access/Excel. The underlying database had a couple hundred tables with so many links it looked like a spiderweb. Tables being added and removed regularly. Undocumented, unvalidated or audited, and only 1 individual who really understood how it worked.

I withdrew my application.

I applied for a job at a major bank (in this country anyway). They showed me their system for one of the major capital calcs (big bucks).

The entire thing was built in Access/Excel. The underlying database had a couple hundred tables with so many links it looked like a spiderweb. Tables being added and removed regularly. Undocumented, unvalidated or audited, and only 1 individual who really understood how it worked.

There is a good item at Smurf on Spreadsheets about the lack of audibility on databases.

Looks like that person left, and the world economy followed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NyVmex

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back