Textjoin and Filter using VBA

BritsBlitz

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the following Array and I'm trying to use TextJoin and Filter in VBA to combine the elements of the array and place it in one cell

Farmer JohnApplesOrangesPeaches
Farmer MikePearsBananasKiwi
Farmer JohnGrapesLemonsStrawberries
Farmer SteveGuavasNectarinesDragon Fruit

For instance, for Farmer John, the output should be Apples, Oranges, Peaches, Grapes, Lemons, Strawberries

I'm using a FOR loop to step through each of the array entries and TextJoin to combine the text for each array line together, but would like to combine the text from multiple array lines together if they match.

Hardcoding it I did the following:
VBA Code:
For ArrayStart = 1 to 4
    If FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 1) = "Farmer John" Then
        Worksheets("Farmers").Cells(1,1).Value = Worksheetfunction.TextJoin(", ", True, FarmerArray(ArrayStart,2), FarmerArray(ArrayStart,3), FarmerArray(ArrayStart,4))
    End If
Next ArrayStart

This code will produce "Apples, Orange, Peaches" but when the next condition of Farmer John = True comes around, it overwrites it with "Grapes, Lemons, Strawberries" How do I add it all together instead of overwriting it? Using a formula, I can use the FILTER function, but not sure how to apply that in VBA.

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
I am not sure what your FarmerArray is doing, can you paste more of the code?

Without VBA, here is how you would accomplish it:

Excel Formula:
=TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,FILTER(B1:D4,A1:A4="Farmer John"))

But you are obviously asking for a VBA solution but I am not sure when your FarmerArray is doing

Upvote 0
I am not sure what your FarmerArray is doing, can you paste more of the code?

Without VBA, here is how you would accomplish it:

Excel Formula:
=TEXTJOIN(",",TRUE,FILTER(B1:D4,A1:A4="Farmer John"))

But you are obviously asking for a VBA solution but I am not sure when your FarmerArray is doing

Hi, I already have the Excel formula working as you wrote it above. I started with the formula and then decided to do it in VBA so my question is how do I rewrite the Excel formula into an equivalent VBA code? The FarmerArray is just an array I created from a much larger table to narrow down the results instead of filtering through the entire table that could be thousands of lines.

Upvote 0
Try this:
VBA Code:
Dim tx As String
For ArrayStart = 1 To 4
        tx = tx & ", " & WorksheetFunction.TextJoin(", ", True, FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 2), FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 3), FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 4))
    End If
Next ArrayStart
Worksheets("Farmers").Cells(1, 1) = Mid(tx, 3)
End With

Upvote 0
Solution
Try this:
VBA Code:
Dim tx As String
For ArrayStart = 1 To 4
        tx = tx & ", " & WorksheetFunction.TextJoin(", ", True, FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 2), FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 3), FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 4))
    End If
Next ArrayStart
End With

Thanks Akuini, this works.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I forgot something.
If it's possible that the filter produces no results, use this one instead, to avoid error:
VBA Code:
Dim tx As String
For ArrayStart = 1 To 4
    End If
Next ArrayStart

If tx = "" Then
    Worksheets("Farmers").Cells(1, 1) = ""
Else
End If

Upvote 0
Sorry, I forgot something.
If it's possible that the filter produces no results, use this one instead, to avoid error:
VBA Code:
Dim tx As String
For ArrayStart = 1 To 4
    End If
Next ArrayStart

If tx = "" Then
    Worksheets("Farmers").Cells(1, 1) = ""
Else
End If

Hi Akuini

I didn't use your code verbatim since it's a piece that goes into a much larger code, but I used your concept and changed it to work for what I need. I was struggling for a while trying to convert a formula with "TextJoin" and "Filter" into an equivalent VBA code and your suggestion to use tx = tx & ", " & WorksheetFunction.TextJoin(", ", True, FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 2), FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 3), FarmerArray(ArrayStart, 4)) made me abandon the filter command and get me to what I needed.

For reference, this is the formula I started with:

=IFERROR(TEXTJOIN(", ",TRUE,"<"&((FILTER(RULES!G2:G299,(RULES!I2:I299="Yes")*(RULES!A2:A299=C58)))) &" -("&(FILTER(RULES!E2:E299,(RULES!I2:I299="Yes")*(RULES!A2:A299=C58)))&")- "&((FILTER(RULES!F2:F299,(RULES!I2:I299="Yes")*(RULES!A2:A299=C58))))&">"),"")

This is the VBA code I ended up with based on your suggestion:
VBA Code:
If IsEmpty(suggestArray(ruleslinestart, 2)) Or IsEmpty(suggestArray(ruleslinestart, 3)) Or IsEmpty(suggestArray(ruleslinestart, 4)) Then
    Else
    nodeconnections = nodeconnections & ", " & WorksheetFunction.TextJoin(", ", True, "<" & suggestArray(ruleslinestart, 2) & " -(" & suggestArray(ruleslinestart, 3) & ")- " _
    & suggestArray(ruleslinestart, 4) & ">")
    Worksheets("5G NETWORK").Cells(networklinestart, 9).Value = Mid(nodeconnections, 3)
End If

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FengXue

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back