Text labels on x-axis in a bubble chart?

Exxel

Hi,

I am trying to create a bubble chart that compares prices (Y-axis) of several products across vendors (X-axis) with the bubble sizes representing market share. Each notch on the x-axis represents a vendor (Samsung, LG etc). I have a chart that makes sense, the only thing I am unable to figure out is how to replace the 1,2,3 etc..on the x-axis with vendor names.
For eg, 1 = Samsung, 2= LG, 3 = Nokia etc.

How do I go about doing this? I have tried all (I think) options in excel 2007, but with no avail.

Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.

Regards
-Laxman

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
if you're comparing prices, from what you just described - a bar chart would be the best solution. and you can have Samsung, LG, etc as X axis, right?

Upvote 0
I am comparing prices and market share across vendors across various products/accessories. For our review it was determined that a bubble chart would best represent our data - hence my question.

Upvote 0
is this what you mean?

it does look pretty, but... it's very confusing

4744190385_51cb25d7b4_b.jpg

Upvote 0
and if this is what you mean, i will post instructions on how to build it. i dont wanna type 2 pages for nothing

P.S. i stand corrected. thinking about it, it's not that confusing. after all, you have to incorporate 2 metrics into the graph, and bubbles are suited well for that.

Upvote 0
Wow! You are amazing. Yes, I agree that the graph is slightly noisy. But this is what I am looking for - am looking for a way to get the text (Apple, LG, HTC etc) on the x-axis for a bubble chart.

Upvote 0
I’m sure someone has already figured out how to add text labels to the real bubble chart, but here’s a workaround using a Line chart:

1) First, write out all the names and put corresponding values (in the case, how high the bubbles will go) next to them. So you would have names + prices.

4744218699_6121abe0ba_b.jpg

2) Create a line chart (note the X axis labels – they are words, not numbers). Clean it up a little (get rid of grey background, chart labels, etc)

4744218701_729d0b02f0_b.jpg

3) Remove the lines (but leave the markers). Can be done by right-clicking the line / format data series / Line / None)

4744218707_45401f066d_b.jpg

Upvote 0
4) Next step is having a circle readily available (a simple autoshape from drawing menu). You can draw a circle by selecting the Oval, pressing shift key before starting drawing, and keep holding shift.

4744218715_eb0da2c50e_m.jpg

Select that circle, and in fill effects pick Picture tab. Needless to say, you should have the clean versions of logos saved on your hard drive

5) Copy the circle first. Now select ONE dot on the line graph. You do this by clicking twice (slowly, not double-clicking) on an individual dot. And paste (ctrl+v). And now you have that shape (logo) instead of that dot.

4744218803_522c1104e2_b.jpg

Repeat Step 5 for each logo you wanna add. i.e. insert another JPG into the autoshape, copy / select another dot / paste, etc. you can also adjust the shape size to represent the market share.

hope this makes sense..

Upvote 0
This certainly makes sense. However, it does not get me there. I want to share an image of what I am trying to do - How do I post the graph? I am not able to figure that out.

Please help.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
post an image on one of picasa or flickr -like sites, and insert an image link into your posting

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swgrinder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back