Text as number problems(also adding thousand separators(.))

gulli09

I have a userform with a lot of designed and weird code behind it so it can 'look' correctly. Therefore I can't really mess up with that code. However, when I finish the user-form and the data exports to a table I have some problems.

The error "number in the cell is formatted as text" came up. I managed to fix it for textbox which included percentages by adding .Value add the end. When I tried the same for textboxes including number it went all wrong. When I wrote 500.000 in the user-form it returned 500. I fixed that by adding * 1 at the end. Now my only remaining problem is getting "500.000" instead of "500000" eg. the thousand seperators.

.Cells(lngRow, 7) = txtNum1.Value * 1 = Format("#,##0")
.Cells(lngRow, 13) = txtNum2.Value * 1 = Format(Val(txtNum1.Text), "#,##0")

I've tried both of these, which return "FALSE", anyone know what I need to do?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I tried simply changing format cells to accounting. It worked, but each new registry has an automated number(1,2,3,4) next to it. When I f.x. change the format of the cell for rows 1-20, with the data completely empty and then assign a new registry the data will appear in line 21, the first cell with the non-accounting format

Upvote 0
Do you need to do something similar to this:

Code:
.Cells(lngRow, 7).Value = txtNum1.Value
.Cells(lngRow, 7).NumberFormat = "#,##0"

Or my preferred way of writing:

Code:
With .Cells(lngRow, 7)

.Value = txtNum1.Value
    .NumberFormat = "#,##0"

End With

Since '.NumberFormat' is a property of the cell you have to set it with at least 2 lines.

I assume there is also a very good reason for the '.Cells' instead of referring to it as just 'Cells' so have kept this in.

Upvote 0
Don't use Format, that returns a string.

Try Val or CDec on there own.

Code:
Cells(lngRow, 7) = CDec(txtNum1.Value )
.Cells(lngRow, 13) = CDec(txtNum2.Value)

Upvote 0
I really appreciate the help;

The first one(AD_Taylor) gave me the correct format(5.000.000) but then again I have the "number as string" problem.

The second one(Norie)
Cells(lngRow, 7) = CDec(txtNum1.Value )

Gave me the format as number, but the result was "500000" and not "500.000" so the thousand points are missing!

Upvote 0
You have the right value, it's numeric so all you need to do is format the cell.

Upvote 0
Yes, but I would need to do it manually each time. If I change the cell format for say, A1:A30 with no input in no cells then fill out a new userform(which exports to the table) then it will start as number 31, and fill out in that column

Upvote 0
Why not format the whole column instead of just the first 30 cells?

PS Why would you have to do it manually?

Upvote 0
Jesus F! I can't believe it was that simple all along! I thought it wouldn't make a difference whether I formatted the entire column or just a sample of it. When I changed the formatting on the first 30, the data would appear in row 31, so I figured If I changed the entire column, the data would appear in a new number 10300 f.x.

Works great now, thanks!

Upvote 0
Jesus F! I can't believe it was that simple all along! I thought it wouldn't make a difference whether I formatted the entire column or just a sample of it. When I changed the formatting on the first 30, the data would appear in row 31, so I figured If I changed the entire column, the data would appear in a new number 10300 f.x.

Works great now, thanks!

Glad you got it working!

Just FYI the reason I posted my answer is because when I tested it, I didn't get the number stored as text error. I got the number 500000 stored in the formula bar, but '500,000' shown in the cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harold14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back