Terrific: Threaded Comments in Excel and Notes - Episode 2242

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Sep 18, 2018.
Build 1810 of Excel introduces Threaded Comments and they are cool. You can now have a conversation about each cell in Excel. Threaded comments will show date, time, author, and the comment. To download the workbook from this video: https://wwww.mrexcel.com/download-center/2018/09/notes-and-threaded-comments.xlsx

Jump to these sections in this video:
(0:00) Threaded comments and notes in Excel
(0:14) Jon Peltier and Excel.Uservoice
(0:30) Inserting a Note
(1:16) Tricks with the legacy notes keep working
(2:01) New Threaded Comments
(2:36) Seeing Replies to Excel Threaded Comments
(3:05) Purple indicator versus red indicator
(3:16) Icons in the Review tab of Ribbon
(3:31) Comments Panel with Show Comments
(4:09) Recording a Macro for Comments
(4:41) New .AddThreadedComment method in VBA
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast Episode #2242. Notes and Threaded Comments.
Hey, welcome back to MrExcel netcast. I'm Bill Jelen. A great update to this episode 2240A where I complain about Threaded Comments.
That episode is just two weeks old and already John Peltier says " Hey, you have to update the video. It's been fixed".
And yes, it's been fixed and thanks to Microsoft and thanks to all of you who voted for my excel like user voice idea.
That this stuff has to come back.
So today we're talking about notes, notes! Now, I know that many of you think that notes are called comments, but that is just some weird thing when notes debuted back in Excel 97 they were called notes and then something happened in Excel 2000.
They renamed them to be comments and they were called comments up until last week.
All right, but notes. So Alt, IM brings up a little sticky note. Get the skim milk, please.
It's the notes that we know and love forever.
They are now called notes.
Alright, here they are - notes. So great, I'll show all notes - next note, previous note, new note.
You just have to get over the fact that there was a bug in Excel and they called them comments for 20 years.
They're back to their original name of notes and they do all of the awesome things that they've always done.
Dave Holly's trick from the Excel Hacks book - to change the shape of a note is still possible to do.
Alright? You can still do formatting. You can show all notes. You can change the shape.
You can change the color. Notes are there, they're wonderful and they're awesome and thanks to Microsoft for bringing these back.
It's not that the notes were ever missing, it's just that they weren't on the ribbon and people were going to assume that the new comments were the same as notes and destroy all the formatting. So I appreciate that notes is back.
Okay, but now let's talk about the new thing, the threaded comments. These are cool.
This is version 1810 of Insider Fast. So they'll be hitting the monthly channel. Probably October maybe November or something like that.
So I come here instead of doing all I am to insert a note, I'm going to use new comments. Now these look like the old icons, but it's a completely new set of things.
All right, so a new comment. See? It has my name.
What flavor this week? And click send.
When I click send, it dates and time stamps the whole thing.
Alright now, let me run over to the other computer and I'll run right back. I'll pause the recording.
All right, welcome back. Okay, so I ran over to the other computer and you can see there's now a reply to my comment.
This is called threaded comments.
You see who wrote it, the date, the time, what the comment was and I can add another reply. You can keep adding replies.
All right now, notes and threaded comments can live side by side.
You can tell one from the other. The little purple indicator means that there's a new threaded comment.
Now the red indicates that there's an old-style note. Now, these icons here are for the threaded comments.
These icons here are for the old notes.
Notice what they're that they are to show/hide all notes. Yeah, that only works for notes when you do show comments.
You're gonna get something different.
When you do show comments here and get something different you're going to get a panel over here with all of the comments and then in theory if I click on a comment, it's going to take me to that cell.
All right. So brand-new functionality looks really, really cool.
After the stay around for the outtake if you're interested in VBA.
There's new VBA for these comments and I'll put that at the end of the video.
Well, I want to thank for stopping by, we'll see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.
If you like what you see in this video, please subscribe and ring that bell.
It's new VBA to do these so we'll record a macro.
And first thing I'm going to do is I'm going to add a new comment. So this is a new comment.
Perfect.
Then I'm going to go back and reply to that comment.
Perfect.
Oh, I screwed something up. Let me go back and edit the original comment.
And then we'll add a Reply # 2 and I screwed something up and I want to edit Reply # 1 There we are stop recording.
Let's go take a look at that code alright, so Range ("A1") .AddCommentThreaded ("This is a new comment") and then to add a reply CommentThreaded.AddReply To edit the original comment, CommentThreaded.Text and the Text:="This is a new comment Edited".
to AddReply.
("This is reply # 2") Right, now so remember we have Comment Reply 1, Reply 2 and I went back and edited Reply # 1 So that's CommentThreaded.Replies(1).Text And that's how we would edit in VBA.
Simple enough, the old comment code will continue to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DIIA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back