Target.address and VLOOKUP with a range of cells

adamchater

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I have the following code, which I know is very inefficient and I want to make it much better.

I have a column of dynamic values in cells AO9 to AO104, and what I need to happen is that when one of the cells in that range is clicked on, Excel performs a VLOOKUP against the value in the cell, copies the results of the VLOOKUP to a cell on another sheet, then activates that sheet.

This is achieved currently by using the code below, although the example given only covers cells AO9 and AO10. Each five lines of code would be repeated for all the cells between AO9 to AO104 (I haven't actually done this yet as I know this not a good way to achieve this), and the only thing which would change is that in the second line the range value is increased by 1 each time. The formula that's being referenced in the second line is just a VLOOKUP, which looks up the value of the cell that was clicked on in a range called ConsData2 and returns the value in the 70th column. This value is then copied to another sheet, in cell W19, and that sheet activated.

VBA Code:
If Target.address = "$AO$9" Then
    CurrentConsultant = Worksheets("Formulas").Range("B256").Value
    Worksheets("Consultants").Range("W19") = CurrentConsultant
    Sheets("Consultants").Activate
End If

If Target.address = "$AO$10" Then
    CurrentConsultant = Worksheets("Formulas").Range("B257").Value
End If

I know there must be a much more efficient way of doing this, without repeating the section of code for each cell, and also without doing a VLOOKUP for each cell separately too, but I cannot work out how to do this.

Could someone please kindly advise me how to make this better?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Just to add, any solution needs to work in Excel 2010 please, as that's what most of our users are using, with only a few using Excel 365.

Upvote 0
Something like:

Code:
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("AO9:AO104")) Is Nothing then
    CurrentConsultant = Worksheets("Formulas").Range("B" & Target.Row + 247).Value
End If

Upvote 0
Something like:

Code:
    CurrentConsultant = Worksheets("Formulas").Range("B" & Target.Row + 247).Value
End If
Thank you, that would work, but ideally the VLOOKUP part could be dealt with as part of this too. So instead of the second line referencing the VLOOKUP on the Formulas sheet, is it possible to code the VLOOKUP too please?

Upvote 0
Probably, but I have no idea what your VLOOKUP formula is... ;)

Upvote 0
Probably, but I have no idea what your VLOOKUP formula is... ;)
Ah yes, that's a good point! I did hint at it in my original post, but here's what actually is:

=VLOOKUP(Specialities!AO9,ConsData2,70,FALSE)

It looks up the cell that was clicked on against a range called ConsData2, and returns the 70th column in that range.

Upvote 0
Try this:

VBA Code:
    CurrentConsultant = Application.VLOOKUP(Target, Application.Range("ConsData2"), 70, FALSE)
End If

Upvote 0
Solution
Try this:

VBA Code:
    CurrentConsultant = Application.VLOOKUP(Target, Application.Range(ConsData2), 70, FALSE)
End If
Thank you, this worked, although I had to put quote marks around the name of the range (ConsData) for it to work. Many thanks for all your help with this.

Upvote 0
Oops - yes I missed those when amending the formula. I've added them to my post for posterity ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesymcox

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back