Tabbed pages in form cause jump to top of form when clicked

DAZarlengo

We have a long form, and want to use tabbed pages partway down. The problem is that when any tabbed heading is clicked, the form jumps all the way back to the top of the page, forcing the users to scroll down back to the tabbed area again. The page changes properly, but the the unwanted return to the top of the form is extremely annoying and unproductive.

Is there a way to stop this? Any solution, including VBA is OK. For example, is there code we can add as an "on-click" event? (We're using Access 2000)

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
I have just tried to replicate the problem in Acees97 but the form behaves as you would expect it to.
It might be worth checking any code you have already to see if it is causing this behaviour.

The code to make it jump to the first control on a tab should be something like
Me![MyFirstControl].SetFocus
But I could not get this to work in the quick play I just had.

peter

Upvote 0
Re: Tabbed pages in form cause jump to top of form when clic

I don't think it is a code problem. I opened created a new database and created a new form. Absolutely nothing else in the database.

Try this if you would:

* Create a new form. Go to design mode.
* Make the form about 15 inches long.
* At about 10 inches down, use the tab control icon to insert two
tabbed pages into the form.
* Switch back to view mode.
* (The tabbed pages should be out of sight below the bottom of
the screen)
* Scroll down to where you can see the tabbed pages.
* Click one of the page tabs.

When I do this, the form jumps back all the way to the top. I have to scroll back down to get to the tabbed pages where I just was. Is this what you get?

Upvote 0
My form does not move when I select the tab, I also tried it by dragging a tabcontrol down in an existing form to test it with a more complicated set up, but it still behaved itself.
I can only test in Access97 here but I have Access 2000 at home and will try it on there tonight if no one else jumps in first.

Peter

Upvote 0
Re: Tabbed pages in form cause jump to top of form when clic

After some more experimentation, I noticed some method to the form's behavior.

If there are no fields on the tabbed page, there is no jumping around.

If there are fields that can be tabbed to, then clicking the tabbed page's title tab makes the form jump so that the first place that can be tabbed to aligns to the bottom of the screen.

For example:

* Drag some fields from a table to various locations on the tabbed page.
* Switch to View mode
* Click the page's title tab
= The form will jump so that the topmost field will show up at the bottom edge of the screen. This is very annoying to the user, who would like the screen to stay right where it is with no forced scrolling.

Oddly enough, this does not happen when the form is open in design mode. It stays put when the various tabs are clicked.

Is this what your system does? Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
on testing I find that if you use the tab key to selet the tabs then clicking the mouse works as you would expect it to, but if the focus is in a control then it jumps.
Another thing is that the onclick event for the tab does not fire either

Peter

Upvote 0
Re: A Stupid work-around

No one here or on the board seems to have a solution to this problem. The "jumping" behavior depends on which field has the focus.

We did come up with a usable work-around. Before mouse-clicking on the next page's tab (which may or may not make the form change position), first click the heading tab of the page that is already open. THEN click the tab of the page you want. It only takes about a quarter of a second, but it keeps the form in the exact position that it is in.

I hate telling clients that they have to do something so "illogical" to make their database "work," but unless someone has a better option, this will have to do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back