Tab Order in excel form

magpie2000k

Board Regular
Hi all and im new here so please be easy n me.

I have been googling and trying for a while to find my answer but im ot getting anything to work.

I have a spread sheet that has four dstinct boxes and need to be able to tab between them in order which happens to be down the page.

I have protected it and it tabs to my required cells but right to left then the next on right and then left again

I want it just to tab down the page.

I have never used VB and as such all of those options I have seen posted I cant get to work.

Please help

kind regards

Jon

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Define what a "box" is.

Regards,
Howard

I have four boxes grrr I cant paste an image

It is a form with 4 sections

A B
C D

ABCD being the boxes
In them there are cells to input data (it is a data capture form in essence

I want it to tab through all cells required in A followe by C then B Then D

At present it goes A First cell to B first cell then A second cell to b second cell and so on

Is that clear

Upvote 0
Hmmm, not picking up on what you have.

I believe you can post am image, here. In the Quick Reply window where I am composing this response, there is an Insert Image icon in the tool bar above.

Maybe that would help. I've never used it so I'm no help there.

Regards,
Howard

Upvote 0
Hmmm, not picking up on what you have.

I believe you can post am image, here. In the Quick Reply window where I am composing this response, there is an Insert Image icon in the tool bar above.

Maybe that would help. I've never used it so I'm no help there.

Regards,
Howard

desktop

It asks for url

I guess I have cells a1 a5 a7 and a9 and c1 c5 c7 and c9

at present it tabs a1 c1 a5 c5 and so on and I want a 1 5 7 9 c 1 5 7 9 in that order

Make any more sense

Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help, but try this.

Select cell A5 hold down ctrl key and select A7, A9 and then A1. (Starting with 5 and ending with 1 will put A1 as the first cell when the range is selected.)

Leave the cells selected and in the Name Box name the range Abox > enter.

Do the same with the C cells, named as Cbox.

Now you can select the name from the drop down in the name window. Tab away and the order will be A 1 5 7 9 and repeated as long as the range is highlighted.

You can enter data in each cell as it is selected then hit Tab and keep adding data until range is full. (Right or left arrow out of range, or click anywhere in the sheet.

Enter key also scrolls through the range as well as the Tab key.

Regards,
Howard

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure if this will help, but try this.

Select cell A5 hold down ctrl key and select A7, A9 and then A1. (Starting with 5 and ending with 1 will put A1 as the first cell when the range is selected.)

Leave the cells selected and in the Name Box name the range Abox > enter.

Do the same with the C cells, named as Cbox.

Now you can select the name from the drop down in the name window. Tab away and the order will be A 1 5 7 9 and repeated as long as the range is highlighted.

You can enter data in each cell as it is selected then hit Tab and keep adding data until range is full. (Right or left arrow out of range, or click anywhere in the sheet.

Enter key also scrolls through the range as well as the Tab key.

Regards,
Howard

Thanks and I have tried this but as soon as I write in the cell the tab goes back to how it was before.

I am trying to use this as a form for the user to enter just in those fields and as such it makes it illogical for the user

I think the answer from what I have read is vb but im completely new to vb

Upvote 0
This statement puzzles me. What makes you guess you have those cells instead of knowing it is those cells.

Code:

Your first post mentions "boxes", so I'm pretty sure you are not just dealing with the cell in the sheet alone. What I have described is an old and proven means to tab through a series of cells that are a named range.

Tell me how to make this "form" with four sections. A step by step explanation to see if I can duplicate it on a sheet.

Howard

Upvote 0
This statement puzzles me. What makes you guess you have those cells instead of knowing it is those cells.

Code:

Your first post mentions "boxes", so I'm pretty sure you are not just dealing with the cell in the sheet alone. What I have described is an old and proven means to tab through a series of cells that are a named range.

Tell me how to make this "form" with four sections. A step by step explanation to see if I can duplicate it on a sheet.

Howard

can I just email you the spreadsheet would that be easier.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fahad_ibnfurjan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back