Tab key selects unlocked cell to the right of a dropdown list

Kc3475

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
When I enter text into a cell with a data validation list in a protected sheet, then click tab, the tab key jumps to the locked cell to the right of the dropdown cell. If I select one of the dropdown options, then the tab key works fine. It’s only when I enter Freeform text into a dropdown cell, that the tab key selects a locked cell. Is there a way to fix this? Thank you!

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I cannot reproduce this. When I enter text into a cell with data validation using a list with dropdown, and I type data in that is not in the list, then press TAB, it moves to the next unlocked cell. This happens even if my Protect options allow the user to select locked cells.

Is there any for you to share the file?

Upvote 0
I created an example. When I type "Yes" or "No" in B7 then click tab, the curser goes to the locked cell C7 instead of B10. Same with B10, it goes to C10 instead of B12. If I select "Yes" or "No" from the dropdown and then click Tab, it works correctly and goes to the next unclocked cell.

Book1.xlsx
B
Sheet1

Upvote 0
XL2BB does not handle things like data validation, protected sheets, locked cells. The only way to demo that is to link to a file in a cloud sharing site.

In your initial description you said:
When I enter text into a cell..., then the tab key works fine. It’s only when I enter Freeform text into a dropdown cell, that the tab key selects a locked cell.
I took this to mean that the problem occurred when you typed text into the cell that was not one of the choices in the dropdown list. When I do that, tabbing works as expected.

However, your later post
When I type "Yes" or "No".... If I select "Yes" or "No" from the dropdown....
suggests that you are typing in a value that is in the dropdown list.

If my list allows "Yes" and "No" and I type "Yes" instead of picking it from the list, then I can reproduce your problem.

I tried this with "Select locked cells" unchecked and it still allowed me to tab to the locked cell! This seems like a bug to me but it is probably a "feature."

So this is surprising behavior and I don't know how to fix it. It might be possible by using VBA that captures the keypress for TAB, but I don't have enough experience in capturing keystrokes to just dash off the code.

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for taking a look at it, I appreciate it. I’ll try and see if there’s a way to work around it, like vba code to double tab is text is typed into those fields.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back