Syntax problem with SumProduct and range?

EssKayKay

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I believe I am having a syntax problem with a formula. I can manually code it and all works fine. The problem is the range limits change (row number). I have a cell (T13) with a range name “LastPmtRow” that contains the last row number.

As example, the manually coded line that works is:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$143)=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$143)

In this example, the location of the code in question is the row line 143. Cell T13 (range name "LastPmtRow") contains the value 143.
I unsuccessfully tried something like:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$ & range("T13").value)=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$ range("T13").value)

Thanks for viewing,
Steve K.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
If this is in VBA then maybe

VBA Code:
ActiveCell.Formula = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$" & Range("T13").Value & ")=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$" & Range("T13").Value & ")"
or
VBA Code:
ActiveCell.Formula = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$" & Range("LastPmtRow").Value & ")=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$" & Range("LastPmtRow").Value & ")"

Upvote 0
Thank you Mark that appears to be doing what I want. I will play with this a bit more but I think I'm in the right direction.

Here's my (read your) code:
VBA Code:
Private Sub cmdTest2_Click()
     Range("S33").Select     
     ActiveCell.Formula = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$" & Range("T13").Value & ")=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$" & Range("T13").Value & ")"     
End Sub

Thanks again,
Steve

Upvote 0
I only used Activecell because you didn't state what cell it was going in so...

VBA Code:
     Range("S33").Formula = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$" & Range("T13").Value & ")=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$" & Range("T13").Value & ")"
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Range("S33").Formula = "=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$" & Range("T13").Value & ")=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$" & Range("T13").Value & ")"
I like that. A bit cleaner and works perfect.
Thanks one more time. . .

Upvote 0
You're welcome (avoid using .Select as 99% of the time code doesn't need it and it only slows the code down and causes screen flicker)

Upvote 0
You're welcome (avoid using .Select as 99% of the time code doesn't need it and it only slows the code down and causes screen flicker)
WOW, that is most interesting. I have used “.select” over 200 times in my project.

I have to note here, I am not a programmer and thus my coding is extremely sloppy – but for the most part, it works. I have been working on this on-going venture primarily as a learning tool for this retired guy (read me), plus it occupies my time.

I looked at my coding and it appears for the most part my “select” option happens numerous times under a few conditions (there are others).

Examples:

VBA Code:
1.  COPY –
      Range("LookupFormula").Select
      Selection.Copy
      Range("P33:P" & Range("LastDataRow").Value).Select
      ActiveSheet.Paste

2.  Change Format –
      Range("F6:F8,F10:F12").Select
      Selection.Locked = False
      Selection.FormulaHidden = False
       With Selection.Interior
          .Pattern = xlNone
          .TintAndShade = 0
      End With

3.  Clear –
      Range("F6:F8,F10,K6:K13,F15:F17,F22").Select
      Selection.ClearContents

I assume these are situations you are talking about. Any suggestions?

Thanks again Mark for your insight – much appreciated,
Steve

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
    '1.  COPY –
    Range("LookupFormula").Copy Range("P33")

'2.  Change Format –
    With Range("F6:F8,F10:F12")
        .Locked = False
        .FormulaHidden = False
        With .Interior
            .Pattern = xlNone
            .TintAndShade = 0
        End With
    End With

'3.  Clear –
    Range("F6:F8,F10,K6:K13,F15:F17,F22").ClearContents

Just a basic demo on the use of Select, run the 2 codes below on a blank sheet to see the result
VBA Code:
Sub Without_Select()
    Dim i As Long, t As Double
    t = Timer

For i = 1 To 1000
        Cells(i, "A").Value = i + 7
    Next

MsgBox Timer - t
End Sub

Sub With_Select()
    Dim i As Long, t As Double
    t = Timer

For i = 1 To 1000
        Cells(i, "B").Select
        Selection.Value = i + 7
    Next

MsgBox Timer - t
End Sub

Edit: Indented the code

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like that. A bit cleaner and works perfect.
FWIW, I normally do it like this. The reason being that the actual formula part (blue below) looks much more like the actual formula that ends up in the worksheet & there is less struggling with how many and where to put all the quote marks. Also, if that last row number value is used in a lot of places in the formula, the vba formula string becomes very long. Using a place-holder like this and substituting the last row numbers all at once keeps that formula string shorter (as well as looking more like the actual worksheet formula).

Rich (BB code):
     Range("S33").Formula = Replace("=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$#)=R33),$Q$32:$Q$#)", "#", Range("T13").Value)
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your input. This is going to be very helpful. I have one more question if you please. I hope I can explain this. . .

I want to display the results of your formulas in cell S33 (which will be copied later) only if the value is > zero. I tried this a couple different ways but this dummie is just not smart enough to get it to work. Here are a few examples of what I tried.

VBA Code:
Range("S33").Formula = If(SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$" & Range("T13").Value & ")=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$" & Range("T13").Value & ")>0, "=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$" & Range("T13").Value & ")=(R33)),$Q$32:$Q$" & Range("T13").Value & ")",””)

OR , maybe a bit simpler option could be something like the following where I test to see if the Year in column R is <= the Year in column C:

Code:
=IF(R37<=YEAR($C$93),style='font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black;mso-themecolor:
text1'> Range("S33").Formula = Replace("=SUMPRODUCT(--(YEAR($C$32:$C$#)=R33),$Q$32:$Q$#)", "#", Range("T13").Value),””)style='font-size:9.0pt;font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";color:black;mso-themecolor:
text1'>

But here is where I need $C$93 to read something like $C$ & Range(“T13”)
As you can tell, I am not a programmer

OR the simplest workaround is to just have another column (say T) where I place the code (I have this one working):
Code:
=If(S33>0,S33,””)

Again, thanks for viewing,
Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjsteward

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back