Synchronized Combo Boxes/Microsoft Example

L

Legacy 3234

This is my first attempt at doing pretty much anything in Access. I'm trying to create a form with synchronized combo boxes. I'm trying to do the same thing as in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 209576. My form isn't working so I'm going back over the example in the Northwind database that Microsoft provides and there's something I just don't get.

It says to create the query qryProductsList based on the Products table and to include the ProductID, ProductName and CategoryID fields. When I use the simple query Wizard to do that, CategoryID is listed as one of the fields I can choose from. But, if I open the Products table, CategoryID is not a field in the table. Category is, but CategoryID is not. How does CategoryID show up in the fields I can select from when that field doesn't exist in that table???

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;209576

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
If you'll notice, Categories and Products are two different tables. You'll need to base your query off of both tables. The tables will need to be Joined together on a common field, but I believe that the query will do this for you.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I opened up a clean copy of the Northwind database on someone else's computer and the Products and Categories tables are already joined on CategoryID before I even do the synchronized combo boxes. I don't understand how two tables can be joined on a field that doesn't appear in both tables. CategoryID appears in the Products table when I look at the relationships but it doesn't appear if I open the Products table.

You say you think the query would do the join for me but when I try to duplicate what the sample does in my own database, it doesn't work.

I have two tables. tblDivision and tblLine.
Division fields are: DivisionID and DivisionName
Line fields are: LineID, LineName and DivisionName

My goal is: When a certain Division is selected in combo1, the appropriate Lines appear in combo2.

So I've created two queries. qryDivision has its two fields with DivisionName sorted ascending.

qryLine has its three fields with LineName and DivisionName sorted ascending. DivisionName has the "nulls" formula in the Criteria that Microsoft shows in the example, with the form (frmRateChange) and combo box names changed to match mine. (cboDivisionSelect & cboLineSelect).

I created the two combo boxes in a new form without basing them on any table or query. I entered the events and other stuff as directed.

When I try to open the form, a dialog box comes up saying "Enter Paramater Value" and it wants DivisionID.

I'm lost.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reelspike

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back