Supressing leading zeros

kojak43

I am sorting by page number (a field) Since there are more than 100 pages, I have to use 001-100 so when it sorts, 100 does not appear before 12.
I have selected asending sort in the report for page number. However, it shows 012. How can I get it to show 12?

Thanks
k

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Sound like you may have the page number field defined as text -- is that correct?
Either convert it to a number, then sorting will be numeric, or use a text expression to strip leading zeros. The exression for stripping the zeros could be a bit messy. I'd go the Number route.

Denis

Upvote 0
Yes, you are correct. I have it set as text. For a couple of reasons. one, if I am not going to proform math, I usually make fields like this text. I'll have to remember to be less rigid when assigning formats.

The real problem is these pages are from a brochure that lists all stock photo licensing used in that particular brochure. Brochures usually have covers that are numbered separately from the inside pages. That is, you can not number a brochure starting with the cover as page one, as the inside of the brochure also has a page one. Therefore there is Cover1, Cover2, Cover3 and Cover4. Then there is Page001 thru Page112. And if the brochure has a couple of bound-in insert cards there is InsertA1, InsertA2, InsertB1 and InsertB2. So when I do a sort, Covers appear first, then inserts then pages.

Now I am stuck with those pesky leading 0's.

Upvote 0
To extract just the number part without the leading zeros you can use the CDbl() function in a query or report. For example:

Convert: CDbl([Field1]) Where field one has 001,002,etc as text.

Result 1,2, etc.

HTH,
CT

Upvote 0
Thanks folks. I could not get the DBl Convert to work.

I added a new field called page position. Made the lookup for page, cover and insert. Changed the text to numbers in the page number field and it works fine. No more leading 0's.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmaskin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back