Super Bowl Squares Percentages with Rocket Mortgage Change - 2385

If you like this content, please consider visiting the video on YouTube and subscribe to the MrExcel Channel to show your support!
This video has been published on Feb 1, 2021.
Free to enter at: Enter the Rocket Mortgage Super Bowl Squares sweepstakes. They’re giving away $50,000 every score change, plus two grand prizes of $500,000. Enter for free today. #RocketMortgageSquares
It is Super Bowl week in America, which means that people are playing the popular Super Bowl Squares gambling game. But this year, Rocket Mortgage is offering a different version of the game. Instead of paying out at the end of each quarter, they are paying out after each score, including before and after the extra points. Does that change the math? You bet it does.
maxresdefault.jpg

Transcript of the video:
Learn Excel from MrExcel Podcast.
Episode 2385 - Super Bowl squares.
Hey, this is going to be probably of more interest from my American friends.
But there's an interesting twist that happened this year on this longstanding game that's going to change the percentages.
Let's take a look as we're coming up to Super Bowl 55.
In this classic game that's been played probably since Super Bowl one at VFW Halls, Super Bowl parties, and the workplace break room, we start out with 100 squares.
It's very important that these in the left column and top row are completely blank. They to sell squares at $10 a square.
You write your initials in and then after the squares are sold, some method to put the numbers one through 10 randomly down the left hand side.
Now this formula here uses the SEQUENCE function to generate 10 numbers and then SORTBY to sort them randomly.
And then the same formula up here but TRANSPOSE. Now, as a Super Bowl is being played.
What you do is at the end of each quarter: first quarter, second quarter, third quarter, and the end of the game, you take the score.
Let's just say this weekend, it's Chiefs 10 Bucks 7 at the end of the first quarter.
So you take the last digit, so zero for the Chiefs, 7 for the Bucs. Chiefs here at Zero.
Buccaneers at 7 and whoever bought that qquare gets a pretty nice payout.
Maybe $200 or $250, usually 200, because then at the end of Q4 they double up.
That person gets $400 or something like that.
Now the important thing to know here: all squares are not created equal.
And, just this crazy data mining exercise covering 54 years worth of data.
I downloaded every score from every Super Bowl up to this point.
The reason that the square is not created equal is because in American football, the most common scores are a touchdown with a single extra point for seven points. Or a field goal for three.
But then you also have over the last 54 Super Bowls, sometimes a touchdown with no extra point or a touchdown with two extra points. Or even just a safety for two points.
And so the combinations of touchdowns and field goals leads to this traditional heat map where zero-zero is the best square. Maybe a score of Ten to Zero or Ten to Twenty.
Very easy to get to those kinds of scores, combining maybe a touchdown and a field goal.
A touchdown for seven and a field goal for three. Or over here the three- zero or seven-three.
The numbers that end in 3, 0 and 7 at least have a better chance of paying off in the first quarter.
But the whole reason that I made this and the whole reason that I went down this path is because this year in 2021 there is a huge promotion going on in United States from Rocket Mortgage.
They have a different version of Super Bowl squares.
Where they're paying out $50,000 but not at the end of the quarter.
That's an important difference they're paying after every score change.
Including let's say the Chiefs score first, get a touchdown that gives them six.
And then they kick an extra point.
They're paying $50,000 after the six and then $50,000 after the seven.
And when I saw that, I thought, “that's pretty wild.
Let's see how that changes things”, So I took that data that I downloaded from the Internet, which only included the scores after the extra point or the two point conversion.
I added in one less or two less depending on whether or not it said that there was a kick or two point conversion and I ended up with this larger data set.
And now the most common score is a touchdown for six, but then the second most common is a single point extra kick for one, and that changes things dramatically.
So down here, remember, just for reference, this is the matrix, the heat map for only scores at the end of the quarter. And up here is the Rocket Mortgage.
Now this right here is a great place to press pause because when you play this game an you get your squares.
You know that's the point at which you will know what numbers happened to randomly assign and you can come here and see you know what your chances are of being entered for a chance to win.
With Rocket Mortgage, they take all the people that had that square, and I think there's a drawing or something like that.
It's fascinating.
There's a few scores that actually have zero chance of winning. If you happen to be in the five -five square.
I guess it's possible to have a score of 35-35,.
But it just hasn't ever happened in the 54 games up till now.
Alright, so this will kind of depress you depending on which square you ended or make you think that you have a good chance of possibly winning right?
So there's the two different versions the Rocket mortgage after every score or the traditional at the end of the quarter. Alright, so there you go.
The quick analysis of your Super Bowl square sheet.
Hey, we will be back in two days on February 3rd for my entry in Excel Hash.
That is going to be a lot of fun. Check out my book MrExcel 2020.
Click that “I” in the top right hand corner.
If you like these tips, please Like, Subscribe, and Ring the Bell.
Feel free to post any questions or comments down in the YouTube comments below, I want to thank you for stopping by.
I will see you next time for another netcast from MrExcel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back