SUNIF/Query link between Excel & Access?

agormanshaw

Well, my first post to this board, here goes...

Originally, I set up two worksheets in Excel, one with data and one with a report. I used SUMIF to pull the appropriate data for my report.

My data has gotten big (& complex) enough that I have moved it to Access. The data is used for other purposes than this particular report, so moving it to Access was a good thing for me.

What I would like is an equivalent method of getting the data that I want from the Access table into a cell in Excel. Something to the effect of :
In the table GLData, total the field Current for Month = "Jan" and Year = "2003" and Group = "Revenue"
(Month, Year, Group, & Current are all fields in the table GLData).

DSUM would work perfectly except that when Excel talks about "database", it means a selection of cells in Excel as opposed to an external database like Access.

I have considered writing the report in Access, but it would require a huge pile of sub reports, and would not be flexible as reporting requirements are changed by my boss...

Thanks for any help on this...

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
There is probably an easier way to accomplish what you're trying, but since nobody has replied yet, I figured I'd throw out two potential solutions...

1) You could write a custom function in Excel that uses DAO/ADO to execute a query in the Access database and return a single value to the cell. I'm not sure how comfortable you are with DAO/ADO, but here's a page that explains some of the different methods w/examples:
http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/vba/adodao/index.php

2) You could set up a pivot table (which would act as your summary report) in Excel and use the Access database as the data source. This also has the advantage of letting you summarize more than 65,536 rows of data (which is the limitation of an Excel worksheet). Here's a basic tutorial on pivot tables in case you haven't used them:
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/PivotTables/ExCreatePiv1.htm

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
Thanks! I'll have a look at the DAO/ADO thing and see if I can get it to work. I'm not at all familiar with it, but I'll give it a whirl.

I've already set up a pivot table to summarize data, and it works well for some general reporting. Financial statements in a predefined format are another headache though...

:)

Upvote 0
Well, the ADO technique worked.

I am using that code you pointed me to to fill an array within Excel, and then running calculations off that array.

It is much faster than putting the data into Excel, and the Excel file size is smaller.

Thanks again for your help!

:)

Aaron

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PierreF

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back