Summing values from different tables

brijackson205

Hello,
This is my first post on Mr. Excel and thanks beforehand for any help you can give!
My problem is as follows:
I am working on a workbook to keep track of individual projects in a company. Each project has its own worksheet. In each worksheet I have a chart estimating labor in distinct departments for each week of the project's duration. Each project has distinct begin and end dates. The maximum number of projects is 40.
My first sheet is a summary sheet that will sum labor for all projects for a specific department. I have a timeline that starts at the date of the earliest project and ends at the latest project.

Now my problem is that when I try to use an array formula combined with a lookup algorithm (I have tried HLOOKUP, LOOKUP, and an INDEX/MATCH combination) to sum all labor it always returns a 0 rather than the actual sum.
Examples:

=SUM(IF(ISERROR(HLOOKUP(J$33,INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP51"),4)),0,HLOOKUP(J$33,INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP51"),4)))
=SUM(IF(ISERROR(LOOKUP(J$33,INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP35"))),0,LOOKUP(J$33,INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP35"))))
=SUM(IF(ISERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP51"),4,MATCH(Summary!J$33,INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP32")))),0,INDEX(INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP51"),4,MATCH(Summary!J$33,INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP32")))))

Each formula works fine looking as just a normal (not array formula, looking up a value in one specific range), and also appears to work outputting the values as an array (4 values for 4 projects) but fails when I try to sum those values. I also have to put in an if statement that changes any #N/A values from the lookup function to 0 (because it returns #N/A when the date in question is outside the date range of the project). For some reason I do not understand I can never get it to sum the values. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

I can supply a sample of my problem upon request.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Welcome to MrExcel.

Does this work for you?

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F32:CP32"),Summary!J$33,INDIRECT("'"&ProjectNamesRange&"'!F35:CP35")))

Upvote 0
It worked great! Thank you for the extremely quick reply. I do have a follow-up question. Why did you use SUMPRODUCT vs just SUM? I tried it with SUM and it worked the same. Is there an advantage to using one or the other?
Again, thanks for the prompt reply!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrKraGeN

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back