Summing Fields????

Dawny

I am new to access and therefore this may be a very simple problem that I havent got a clue how to get around!!

I have created a query which has over 250 fields, all of which need summing. Is there a quick way of being able to sum all of these fields without me having to go through and sum each field individially????

If anyone can help me with this I would be mst grateful.

Thanks in advance

Dawn

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hello Dawn and welcome to Mr Excel.

When you say there are 250 fields are you referring to the columns in the query? If so, then you might need to look at normalising your database because unfortunately you can't use columns of data in Access as easily as you can in Excel. There are some articles from Microsoft here and here that might help with setting up the database efficiently.

If the 250 fields refers to rows in your query, then there is an article from MS here that explains how to do that.

HTH, Andrew. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I am wanting to sum records in a query which one of the links you provided does describe. However whilst I have worked out how you sum each field individually i.e. totals, change to sum, given the fact I have 250 fields which need changing I wondered whether there was a quicker way of doing them all at once rather than clicking through and changing them all individually.

Any ideas???

Thanks again.

Dawny :)

Upvote 0
Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I am wanting to sum records in a query which one of the links you provided does describe. However whilst I have worked out how you sum each field individually i.e. totals, change to sum, given the fact I have 250 fields which need changing I wondered whether there was a quicker way of doing them all at once rather than clicking through and changing them all individually.

Any ideas???

Thanks again.

Dawny :)

Upvote 0
Hi Dawn

I'm not familiar with a quicker way but when I am presented with such a daunting repetitive task, I do this : save my work regularly, click the first field, put away my mouse and then I alternate tapping the "Tab" and "S" keys as fast as I possibly can (a bit like playing "chopsticks" on the piano <- you don't want to hear it :biggrin: ).

Andrew :)

Upvote 0
You are an absolute star Andrew!

Using the tab and s keys are much quicker than individually clicking through each field.

Thank you very much

Dawny

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iours

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back