Summing Consecutive Records

Spidey

Hello all,

I have a small problem I am hoping people can help me out with. Right now, I am converting a spreadheet to Access, and am having trouble mimicing some functionality, and getting similar speed.

Given:

Date Sales
------------------------------
10/30/2002 50
10/31/2002 60
11/1/2002 55
11/4/2002 45
11/5/2002 55

Given an integer variable input on a form (lets say X), for each date, I want the sum Sales for the the next X business days. Sounds easy off the bat, but I need to worry about weekends, so I cannot compare raw dates. I need to determine what the date X days from the start would be (accounting for weekends).

Like i said, I was able to get this to work, but it runs a little too slow for something that may be changed freqently.

Here is the Query that gets the data:
Code:
SELECT		tR001A.dDate,
			tR001A.Sales,
			Sum(NextDay.Sales) AS SumOfSales
FROM		tR001A,
			tR001A AS NextDay
WHERE		AddWorkDays(1,[tR001A].[dDate])<=[NextDay].[dDate]
	AND	AddWorkDays(X,[tR001A].[dDate])>=[NextDay].[dDate]
GROUP BY		tR001A.dDate,
			tR001A.Sales
'AddWorkDays' is a function that I wrote. I realize that UDFs are slow, but I was getting the same response time with using IIF's in the Criteria.

If I replace the 'AddWorkDays' function with simple addition (i.e. [tR001A].[dDate] + 1 <= [NextDay].[dDate]), it is much faster, but again, that does not take ignore weekends.

So to bring it all around, is it possible to look at one record, and sum the next X in the table?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Here is a UDF approach, but I can't visualize another route :oops: Start with the Weekday function or a close variant. Make it 0-based. Now if you let f be the original day of week (symmetric to your DOW weekday function), define something like
TotalDays=X+2*int( 1+(X+f-7)/5)

This should give the true date span days, where it adds 2 days for each weekend in the timespan.

This is untested for endpoints and may need a plus or minus 1, but essentially does what it sounds like you want. Note: I assumed 0=Saturday in a quick test; you may want to tweak your DOW function to do that too.

This would give you an ending date to do the X day span, and I assume you know where to go next.

Due to time I just rushed this response; if you want need a more detailed explanation just holler.

Upvote 0
Without having Access installed right now you should be able to look at Weekday() as a criteria and IIF.

Hope that helps, I'll put Access back on in the morning and look at this more.

Upvote 0
With large amounts of fragmented data, indexing may become very important to performance. Would be like Night & Day in fact - something that runs in 2-3 seconds on an indexed database could take many minutes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tommyw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back