Summary Sheet - Counting Total Names

TJSieling

I know the title seems a little odd, I wasn't sure how to word it. So here's what I'm trying to do...

I work at a salvage yard and we have to log and keep track of vehicles we buy. I have a workbook that is 24 tabs in size, two for each month. We buy vehicles from every source imaginable (dealers, auctions, private sellers who walk in with a vehicle).

In column I, the first cell is just an overall label for the workbook, but I2 is the header "Seller's Name." What I would like to do is put a new sheet at the beginning of the workbook that gave me a list of each unique name and how many times they are there (so who is selling us vehicles and how many vehicles they are selling).

I know how the count function works, but I'd like to have it auto-populate when a new name is added.

Ex. in June, Pete's Repair has 3 rows, in July, Paul's Shop has 5, and in December, Tim's Recovery has 1. Julie's Auto has one in each of those months.

The beginning sheet would list these shops and give me a total (Pete's Repair 3, Paul's Shop 5, Tim's Recovery 1, Julie's Auto 3). What I'd like to see is when I add a new customer to any one of these sheets, it auto-populates it on the summary sheet (We have several hundred customers, and new ones every day). I'd like to keep a summary sheet up to date without having to manually check every time I put a new line in the workbook and adding it if it's not there.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Welcome to the Board!

You'd be better off putting all of your purchases in one worksheet (like a database). Then you can use a Pivot Table to summarize purchases by Seller.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alchavar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back