SUMIFS while ignoring duplicate rows based on values from a column

slam

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
I think the easiest way to explain this is as follows:

I have this SUMIFS working perfectly with one workbook:

Excel Formula:
=SUMIFS(Raw!Y:Y,Raw!B:B,"11/22/2023  12:00:00 AM",Raw!X:X,"2025",Raw!S:S,"Planned")

I now have another workbook with the same layout, except that there are duplicate rows in this one. I can't remove them because they are needed for other formulas. However, I do need to ignore the duplicates in this formula. So the formula I need is exactly the same as above, but as if I'd done a Data > Remove Duplicates based on column C on the Raw worksheet.

Row 1 is the column headers, and this is for Excel 365.

Thank you!

<3

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Is there a column that exists (or you could add) that would ID the duplicates and not the original? If yes, just add that criteria to your formula to exclude them .e.g column Z "<>Duplicate"

=SUMIFS(Raw!Y:Y,Raw!B:B,"11/22/2023 12:00:00 AM",Raw!X:X,"2025",Raw!S:S,"Planned", Raw!Z:Z, "<>Duplicate")

Or ID just the Original
=SUMIFS(Raw!Y:Y,Raw!B:B,"11/22/2023 12:00:00 AM",Raw!X:X,"2025",Raw!S:S,"Planned", Raw!Z:Z, "Original")

You could put a formula in column Z to ID the Original and Duplicates...
Put this in Z2 drag down column Z
=IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C2, C2)=1, "Original", "Duplicate")

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Hi AlphaFrog, since my original post a couple of hours ago, I tried exactly that using this formula:

Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIF(C$2:C2,C2)>1,"Duplicate","First")

And then I adjusted my SUMIFS to

Excel Formula:
=SUMIFS(Raw!Y:Y,Raw!B:B,"11/22/2023 12:00:00 AM",Raw!X:X,"2024",Raw!S:S,"Planned",Raw!AO:AO,"First")

However, this dataset is huge, and after adding that formula I keep getting popups about memory issues. I'm limited to 32bit Excel 365 on a laptop with 16GB of RAM, and no amount of Virtual Memory seems to solve it.

Not sure if there's a less memory intensive way to do it (or maybe I just have an issue with the workbook?). Can try copying to a brand new file, otherwise I might need a different solution.

Upvote 0
Approximately how many rows is "huge"?

Here's another idea albeit a little kludgy. Use the CountIf formula in column AO. Then copy column AO and Paste Special Values back in Column AO to replace the Formulas.

Upvote 0
Did end up doing a few things like that to improve performance, but not quite the solution I was looking for as I need it to be more dynamic for future data dumps into this file.

120,000 rows, 35 columns, with another worksheet doing about 750 different calculations from this one, and several other smaller worksheets as well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam1121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back