SUMIFS not giving desired result

FredJ

I have a large sheet of data with dates in column BE (formatted *dd/mm/yyyy) and a score in column CL (formatted Number, zero decimal places). The scores are all whole numbers, 0 thru 4 or the cells are blank. Date cells are also blank where no dates have been provided.

The aim was to produce a summary report of how many scored forms had been returned in the previous month.... easy, Sumproduct

=IF(MONTH(TODAY())=1,SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400)=12),--(YEAR(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400)=YEAR(TODAY())-1)),SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400)=MONTH(TODAY())-1),--(YEAR(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400)=YEAR(TODAY()))))

Then the powers that be wanted additional data, namely the average score for the forms returned in the previous month. I already know how many forms there were, so it should be simply a matter of calculating the total and dividing by the number of forms. .... SUMIFS I thought

=IF(MONTH(TODAY()=1),SUMIFS(Forms!$CL$2:$CL$1400,MONTH(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400),12,YEAR(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400),YEAR(TODAY())-1),SUMIFS(Forms!$CL$2:$CL$1400,MONTH(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400),MONTH(TODAY())-1,YEAR(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400),YEAR(TODAY())))

Unfortunately all I get is "the formula you typed contains an error" and it highlights the entire formula.

Going into the "function" view is no more revealing as it shows that both SUMIFS are in error, but viewing them it shows no errors.

Any assistance gratefully received
Fred

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
you cant use a condition on a range in sumifs
SUMIFS(Forms!$CL$2:$CL$1400,MONTH(Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400)
you would have to use sumproduct

Upvote 0
Hello FredJ, welcome to MrExcel

The previous month starts with

=EOMONTH(TODAY(),-2)+1

and ends with

=EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1) so to sum for all dates in that range use this version of SUMIFS

=SUMIFS(Forms!$CL$2:$CL$1400,Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400,">="&EOMONTH(TODAY(),-2)+1,Forms!$BE$2:$BE$1400,"<="&EOMONTH(TODAY(),-1))

For the average you can use exactly the same formula but with AVERAGEIFS in place of SUMIFS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Absolutely perfect and 2 new functions to use to boot.

Thanks Barry, much appreciated

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trond_Michaelsen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back