Sumif/Countif/Vlookup (Not sure which one, if any)

jlkirk

Office Version
  1. 365
I have a spreadsheet that lists inventory parts, the date they were purchased and their cost in each of three columns (column A the date they were purchased; column B, the name of the particular part (there are many, but some are repeats); and column C the cost). What I would like to do is create a formula that would add all of the costs of a particular inventory piece acquitred before June 1 of a given year.
Any help?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Look at CONDITIONAL SUM WIZARD (this is an add in) - also do a search as there are countless examples of this using SUMPRODUCT and other array formulas...

Tip : Use Aladin as author.

Upvote 0
jlkirk said:
I have a spreadsheet that lists inventory parts, the date they were purchased and their cost in each of three columns (column A the date they were purchased; column B, the name of the particular part (there are many, but some are repeats); and column C the cost). What I would like to do is create a formula that would add all of the costs of a particular inventory piece acquitred before June 1 of a given year.
Any help?

=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$10 < E1)+0,$b$2:$B$100=F1)+0,$C$2:$C$100)

where E1 houses 6/1/03 and F1 an inventory piece of interest.

An alternative is using a DSUM formula which you can find on this site in a few threads associated with my name.

Upvote 0
xlent-looked at that message/topic-no help. Used conditional sum as you suggested and it returen a "Value".

Upvote 0
Hi,

If you wouldn't insist on 1/7 it could have been done easily with PIVOT TABLE with grouping DATES to Years or Quarters

If you need more details, just ask!

Eli

Upvote 0
Thanks Aladin. Works fine. How about two more questions: what if I want to (a) sum up the costs of 2 or more pieces of inventory that were (b) acquired, say, between November 1, 2002 and April 15, 2003?

Upvote 0
Aladin,
Thanks again. In trying to learn more about this function, I am puzzled as to what the significance of the "+0" is in the first two expressions?
Thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0
jlkirk said:
Aladin,
Thanks again. In trying to learn more about this function, I am puzzled as to what the significance of the "+0" is in the first two expressions?
Thanks,
Jeff

+0 does effect coercion, that is, conversion from logical to number... Other arithmetic operators, -, *, have the same effect as well as --.

=TRUE+0 --> 1

=FALSE+0 --> 0

or conversion from numbers stored as text to real numbers, e.g.,...

="007"+0 --> 7

="00000"+0 --> 0

Formulas operating computed arrays like ones with SumProduct needs that coercion in order to work.

For more, see...

http://www.mrexcel.com/wwwboard/messages/8961.html

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Priti_190

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back