Sum Product

Viking08

Board Regular
I am new to Access so be gentle. I do most of my work in excel, but I have come to am impass. I need to import a file that is larger than 100,000 lines.

I am importing a loan file that is over 100,000 loans in total and has different loans types. What I need to be able to do, which I coould in excel, is to add up the different catagories and calcualte the weighted average rate per catagory.

Can someone help me. Again I am a real novice when it comes to access. :eek:

Thanks

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Access will have no problems with the filesize you describe. It can also do the calculation you need. Check the help files for a GroupBy query.

Basically, what you want to do is start a query, bring in your main table, and turn on the grouping. Then, you can bring the fields that you need in, and apply different groupings (click on the drop down arrow to see different options.)

That should get you started. Post back if you are having problems.

HTH (y)
P

Upvote 0
There are several ways to go. For one, you can put "Average" in the "Total" row in the Access query design. In query design you can specify menu item "view totals" to toggle that row appearing. Then you can set a query criteria and get the averages, one by one.

You'll probably prefer to use an Access report. If you set up a query that does nothing but output category and rate, you can start a new report, invoking the report wizard, specifying that query as the source; then set the category as a grouping level; then clicking the wizard button "Summary options" and clicking the Sum and Avg buttons - which will produce a report that shows the sum and average after each category.

However, you may or may not intuitively latch on to the design, modification and running of Access reports at your current level. You should really exercise with dummy data and get the hang of it. (Of course, and more importantly, the same holds for the query design.)

If this sounds over your head, it needn't, because all of this is pretty basic; you'll probably spare yourself much frustration with this if you get a "learn Access in 28 days" book, which will probably make you somewhat fluent after the first 6 or 10 chapters (and you may find that most chapters take under an hour). A fuller approach would consider taking the time to work with a broader text such as the MrExcel recommendation atop this forum list.

I don't mean to cop out and say that you can't be helped here unless you "go out and learn Access first." I just suggest you work with at least those two areas - whether with Kamikaze abandon on dummy data, or measured study from a text. That is, if the above concepts seem intimidating.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ragananthony7911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back