Suggestions to increase views and replies to posts

Duchesssix

I am completely baffled. Why do some new threads get dozens of views and replies in a matter of minutes and mine seem to linger for hours and usually days before I get a response?

Any suggestions on how to increase my views, thereby increasing the replies. Some questions I ask I think are easy and should get a lot of responses quickly. Others I know are more complex and although I would expect fewer responses. However, so far all my posts have hardly had any views, let alone responses.

Everyone raves about this forum yet it has benefited me hardly at all.

Any suggestions? I am a new VBA programmer and I really need a community I can use to help me in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Really? I look at your past threads, and I only see two questions you asked that did not get any responses. From some of the other threads, it looks like you got some pretty good help on some of your questions.

There are a few "more advanced" Excel topics that most users don't use a whole lot, so there are far fewer "experts" on those topics. And I see some of your questions are on those topics. These topics include things like Pivot Tables and User Forms. Personally, I never use these features myself in Excel, because I usually find Access to be better tools for these sorts of things than Excel.

Any suggestions? I am a new VBA programmer and I really need a community I can use to help me in a timely manner.
I am not sure what you consider to be "timely", but keep in mind that this is an international forum, so experts on the other side of the world may not see your question for 12 hours or so (it is also a completely volunteer forum!).

Kristy posted some pretty good posting tips here (especially items #3-17).

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127080

I didn't look at every one of the threads you have started but I would agree with Joe that you have asked a number of questions that are well above 'basic', meaning that there will be less people able to offer something useful.

It is sort of covered by point 25 in the link Joe provided but one thing that stands out to me about your threads is that in the majority of them, the thread ends with a further (unacknowledged) suggestion for you from a board member. Those members may be less inclined to help in your subsequent threads if they feel you are taking no notice of their suggestions.

BTW, in looking at some of your past threads I do have a further suggestion for one of them. It is some months old, but I'll post my suggestion anyway.

Last edited:

Then you might not be working hard enough to make your point(s) clear. There is a great deal to be said for interpretation...

There are any number of communities that will be more than willing to take your money, but as mentioned, this is an all volunteer community, and there are some considerations that need to be taken into account because of that...You also might want to take advantage of the board's search feature. It's something that we've tried very hard to do a good job with, and in fact, you'll find people finally post a question after lurking/searching posts for years.

Also of significant mention, as a beginning VBA Programer, then the best friend you've got is the Macro Recorder.

For what's it's worth, I learned most of what I know from this forum, including much from the two gentleman who have already pitched in on this thread.

It's a fantastic forum, so don't sell it short just because you're frustrated.

Good luck!

Use the internet to its best and forums more so
Get to know the forum, its feel and features. Make Your life easy with a small bit effort be flying in no time

More you join in the easier and better you get and be, Jacks struggled massive and just about a low / average user. I am happy with that, so it is up to you

jiuk

Thanks everyone. I hope I didn't sound like I was complaining. I was just looking to make sure there wasn't something I could be doing to increase responses.

To Peter_ss comment about not responding. I can understand that. Unfortunately, most of the time when I do get a response I have moved beyond the problem by the time I get any response. I guess I need to post at that point.

I was just surprised at how a lot of questions get responses within minutes of responding. I guess I didn't take into account the complexity of my questions.

Thanks for the input.

The complexity is definitely part of it... you need both the skill and the time to make a useful response.
As for those threads that get answered quickly, there are many factors. Apart from the layout and completeness of the question:
It could be simple, or quick, or both.
Someone with the required expertise may have just looked at the front page and seen it (when the forum's in full flight posts get to the second page pretty fast!)

Hope that helps, and I hope that you do get something valuable from this forum and in time become a contributor as well.

Denis

When my threads don't get answered it's usually because a lot of other people are posting threads at the same time so my thread gets bumped down the page and therefore missed, or the people who usually give me help with more advanced questions are not on the site.

Usually when I bump my threads the next day etc... they get answered.

The thing that is funny and against the rules is that people who post stupid things in their titles usually get a massive amount of views and replies (NOT THAT I AM SUGGESTING THIS, AND DO NOT DO IT MYSELF".

The thing that is funny and against the rules is that people who post stupid things in their titles usually get a massive amount of views and replies
While we prefer/recommend that people use informative thread titles (it makes searches much easier and useful), it isn't against the rules not to. I am not sure if I agree that these threads get more replies BECAUSE of their title. I think it is more of a factor that many of these posts are from newer members, and many of these questions tend to be more basic.

I am not sure if I agree that these threads get more replies BECAUSE of their title. I think it is more of a factor that many of these posts are from newer members, and many of these questions tend to be more basic.

I have to admit that I will often go to threads with meaningless titles, because of that very reason. A lot of times people just don't know how to ask, and I think it's important for them to have a good experience.

Caveat: if you're still posting meaningless titles once you've gotten the hang of the board, then I won't bother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agata

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back