Suggestion: Quick search of my threads

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
It would be handy to have an option in Advanced Search to restrict the search to (a) threads started by me and (b) threads I am subscribed to.

I understand that I can type my user name in the User Name: field, but a checkbox would be quicker, less error prone, and more self-evident. I'd put it next to (or before) the Exact name checkbox.

These forums are not written from scratch, but rather use software created by vBulletin (see bottom of screen). As such, there is a limit to how much we can do. The search functionality of most of these type of internet forums is less than stellar.
This search facility is not bad. The "my threads" option seems like an obvious choice that many users would find useful. I could pop over to the vBulletin forum and make thaty suggestion, but it would probably carry ore weight if it came from one of their users.

However, there are ways to do what you want using things like Google searches. See this thread here: http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/174000-searching-mrexcel-com-forums-tips.html
Thanks for the reference. I'll check it out, but I think just entering my userid is easier. Of course, if the Google method works for all or most other forums, it would be handy to know.

Thanks

I don't know. People have been complaining about Internet Forum search functionality for years, and I have not seen much improvement.

By the way, you do know about the "Subscribed Threads" menu item, right? If you click on that, it will show you all of the threads you are subscribed to.

I don't know. People have been complaining about Internet Forum search functionality for years, and I have not seen much improvement.

By the way, you do know about the "Subscribed Threads" menu item, right? If you click on that, it will show you all of the threads you are subscribed to.

Yes, but there is a way to search more than one page at a time?

Yes, but there is a way to search more than one page at a time?
"Subscribed Threads" isn't really a searchable feature. It just returns all threads that you are subscribed too. Note that it is multiple pages (i.e. if I click on it, I see 528 pages of results for me).

"Subscribed Threads" isn't really a searchable feature. It just returns all threads that you are subscribed too. Note that it is multiple pages (i.e. if I click on it, I see 528 pages of results for me).

I was referring to the browser's search feature. When I click on "Subscribed Threads", I get several pages (but a lot less than 528!). I can use the browser's search feature, but it only applies to one page. If there was a way to show all of the pages, that would work.

I'll just enter my userid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nachohoyu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back