suggestion for forum format

wsjackman

I appologize for not knowing where to submit this other than the main forum

I suggest having the thread submittal number show with each submittal when in response mode.

when reviewing a thread, there is an entry number in the upper right section of each submittal. this is what I call thread submittal number.

it is very useful in going back and forth between submittals.

however in response mode, the tread number does not show. It would be very useful when referring to a particular suggestion or question from someone who has multiple submittals to be able to refer to a specific thread submittal number.

If there are other terms for this number, please let me know what it is so that I can keep from confusing more people than myself.

while I am in the response edit box, when I scroll down the posting history, the post number is not visible. therefore while I am in edit mode, for example to refer to a post below I would have to state VOG 8:18 AM. on 6/17 since tomorrow it would no longer say "today". In review mode I can see it is post 2

If this were a multi post thread and you had several of your excellent suggestions, and I wanted to comment on a couple, my input would get very busy if I were to quote each of your responses where I would rather say something like "see VOG's comments in posts 2 and 27"

Just make a note of the post numbers before you go into Edit mode (or simply quote the posts, as Kristy suggested).

reguarding post number 5

I normally relook at the posts while I am responding to ensure answering the actual latest question Whille reviewing I may see or think of something I did not notice before I went into edit mode. I would not have the post numbers at that time. On complicated reference posts, I do not like entering two or three large genie posts when it would be best for the person to go back and review the initial post themselves.

additionally, by the time I post, there are often two or three new posts since I went into edit mode. I do not want to say I disagree with joe4's post if you had entered a new one since i went into edit mode that I do agree with, or say I agree with a post when there is actually a later one that I disagree with.

There are many threads where the initial poster has no clue as to how to ask for what he wants and there are multiple postings by the same responder trying to clarify and offering specific formulas. before the responses start actually addressing the "wants" of the poster, and when the poster says "It doesn't work", a lot of times there is no clue as to what, or whose, suggestion doesn't work. Anything which would simplify this type of back and forth would reduce frustration.

I don't know what our capabilities are in making those sort of changes.

As you can see from the bottom of the page, these forums are "Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2". The structure of the forum is not something that MrExcel created. Like any other software, we do have a few customizable options, but many things are beyond our ability to change (since we didn't write it).

I really can't speak of exactly what is able to be changed and what isn't (most Moderators like myself aren't involved in the set-up detail of the forum).

We see lots of good suggestions come down the pike, unfortunately many of them are beyond the scope of changes we are able to make.

I did not expect anythng to done initially, I have worked on too many of these type of setups and know that many things cannot be done, and nothing can be done fast. I also know that a lot of things can be done if someone asks. My recommendation really should have been that when a review of options is done, this could be concidered, if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ang24

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back