gavcol

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

Thanks in advance for helping.

I have a formula that I want to streamline a bit (too many nested substitutes)

Is there a way to substitute multiple values for a single value but without nesting a heap of Substitute functions ?
maybe something along the lines of the following :
=SUBSTITUTE(VLOOKUP($D2,DataRange,4,FALSE),{"W","T","O","P","R",D","S"},"Productive")

I use something similar in a sumifs formula and it works very well but not with substitute unfortunately

Cheers,
Gav

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
What exactly are you trying to do?

Provide some sample data and show what you expect please
(and what worked?)

Upvote 0

(and what worked?)

Hi,

Thanks in advance for helping.

I have a formula that I want to streamline a bit (too many nested substitutes)

Is there a way to substitute multiple values for a single value but without nesting a heap of Substitute functions ?
maybe something along the lines of the following :
=SUBSTITUTE(VLOOKUP($D2,DataRange,4,FALSE),{"W","T","O","P","R",D","S"},"Productive")

I use something similar in a sumifs formula and it works very well but not with substitute unfortunately

Cheers,
Gav

Upvote 0

(and what worked?)

Hi Ford (sry, I accidentally reposted the original post and had to rewrite everything again (also before I realised there was an autosave feature) :( )

What I'm trying to do is make the following working formula a bit leaner.

=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(VLOOKUP($D2,DataRange,4,FALSE),"W","Productive"),"T","Productive"),"O","Productive"),"R","Productive"),"P","Productive"),"D","Productive"),"S","Productive"),"L","Leave"),"U","UnProductive")

Basically it's a vlookup, returning values from column 4 and substituting the single character results to a more meaningful word.
i.e. :
W,T,O,R,P,D,S = Productive
L = Leave
U = UnProductive

I used to do this with nested IFs but the formula was very long.
I reduced this a fair bit by using the SUBSTITUTE function but it's still seems like I'm doing it the long way.

In another formula (while I realise it's not the same formula and operates very differently ) is an example of using multiple criteria within {}
=SUM(SUMIF([@[Call TypeRC]],{"Construction","AH","DC","MW","PC","PM","QU","UB","WA"},[@[PTDHrsInvcd-1]]))

Is there a similar leaner or more condensed way of handling multiple substitutions than the way I'm doing it above ?

Cheers & Happy Christmas ;)

Upvote 0
The short answer is no, not without code. Excel's text manipulation is fairly basic compared to the rest of it.

Upvote 0
The short answer is no, not without code. Excel's text manipulation is fairly basic compared to the rest of it.

Ah, Ok.
As Long as I'm doing it in the best way possible.

Cheers,
Gav

Upvote 0
Ah, Ok.
As Long as I'm doing it in the best way possible.

Cheers,
Gav

Ok, figured out another way of doing it to condense the formula length if anyone else comes across this post in the future.
I doubt it's all that leaner on the cpu because it's now performing the lookup twice (twice is still better than all the nested IFs I had in the original formula) but at least the formula itself is easier for others (like my manager) to read and understand what it's doing.

I created a Name 'LookupDataRange' for the vlookup then performed an isnumber/find validation for the results that are Productive
I left the Substitutes in the 2nd part of the formula because it's fairly short and highlights there's more than one way to skin a cat ;)

=IF(OR(ISNUMBER(FIND({"W","T","O","P","R","D","S"},LookupDataRange))),"Productive",SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LookupDataRange,"L","Leave"),"U","UnProductive"))

Cheers and Happy New Year

Upvote 0
Another way would be to create a small table with your codes and meanings, then use another vlookup (around your initial formula) that will pull the code meaning in for you. Something like...

=vlookup(VLOOKUP($D2,DataRang e,4,FALSE),$Y$1:$Z$3,2,0)

Upvote 0
Another way would be to create a small table with your codes and meanings, then use another vlookup (around your initial formula) that will pull the code meaning in for you. Something like...

=vlookup(VLOOKUP($D2,DataRange,4,FALSE),$Y$1:$Z$3,2,0)

aaah, good. I should have thought of that one. Even more condensed.
And the cat gets skinned again ;)

Upvote 0
aaah, good. I should have thought of that one. Even more condensed.
And the cat gets skinned again ;)
If you did not want to create the extra table, I think this formula might work directly...

=IF(ISNUMBER(FIND(VLOOKUP($D2,DataRange,4,FALSE),"WTOPRDS")),"Productive","Unproductive")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swgrinder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back