Sub-forums in Excel?

Chasden

Hello,
I've noticed that a the Excel forum fills up with new threads VERY quickly, to the point that people are constantly bumping their own threads to the top pointlessly. Indeed, i posted a thread last night before going to bed, only to find that it isn't on any of the first 5 pages of the Excel forum (who knows which actual page it's on...i got tired of looking!).

Has an administrator considered creating sub-forums in the Excel forum to reduce clutter? Perhaps a sub-forum for Macros (since i see those threads a lot), and sub-forums for whatever other common issues come up (experienced forum users such as administrators would know better than i would).

Just a friendly suggestion. Thanks for reading!

I think the rationale is that people don't post in the correct sub-forum, which means moderators spend a lot of time moving threads.

Plus a lot of people who respond to questions just look at "today's posts," irrespective of forum.

Well, as long as the "experts" are actually reading all the way through! I personally wouldn't bother past page 2, but that's just me. Who knows what the other casual viewers are doing.

Thanks!

Code:
Well, as long as the "experts" are actually reading all the way through!
Dunno about that -- you'd need to ask one ...

Chasden,

Take a look at the Quick Links drop down menu. There are two items there that you may find useful:

Subscribed Threads - as long as you have the default of setting of subscribing to all threads that you post to, you can use this to quickly find all your threads/posts, sorted in descending order of posting date and time (so your most recent posts appear first).

Unanswered Threads - this shows all recent threads which have not had any replies to them. I think the default is 24 hours, but you can actually set it to more than that. Many of the experts use this to look for threads which have not been addressed.

This is one good reason why I usually tell people not to bump their thread before 24 hours - if they do, it will no longer appear unanswered! And with experts all over the world, you will want to give time to the other side of the world to see your unanswered question.

As shg mentioned, all making more sub-forums really accomplishes is creating more work for the Moderators when people post to the wrong one. Many people post thinking they need a macro, when they actually don't (a formula option there were unaware of exists), or post looking for a formula that doesn't exist, so VBA is necessary. So the person seeking help is often not the best person to determine what the solution will look like (which is often why they are seeking help!), so they might not have any idea which forum to post their question in if there are too many options.

I usually look at the unanswered posts list when I log in to the forum - don't think that your post is "out of sight" and "out of mind" just because it's not on page 1 of the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agata

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back