Stupid Autonumber Question

Mark O'Brien

MrExcel MVP
Never let it be said that I am afraid to ask a stupid question, for as Mr Garrison once said, "There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

In the course of learning Access and manipulating tables with data entry userforms, I have added and deleted a lot of records from one particular table.

This table has an autonumber field to assign a unique key to each field. Since I have been messing about (troubleshooting) , when I actually add the real data, the first record is going to be numbered 25. (instead of 1)

Is this a big deal? I can't think of any way that it should be, but I was wondering if I should somehow reset the autonumber field to start from 1.

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Nah, doesn't matter- you're still getting unique numbers. If you did want to reset the field and you haven't added any data yet, you could change the field size to number (you may need to delete any relationships involving the field first), save your table, then just change it back to Autonumber to start afresh (recreate your relationships if necessary).

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's what I figured. Plus I've got a lot of relationships associated with that number and I am far too lazy go to all of that hassle to delete them and recreate them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hglymph

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back