Stamp Debate

BenMiller

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
A friend of mine posed an interesting question to me the other day, and I'm curious to see what people on this forum think. It actually came up in a Talmudic discussion we were having (yeah, I study the Talmud; I'm a religious Jew lol), I'd like to see what people say about this.

It's obvious that when you damage someone's property you're obligated to pay them back in full. If I smash your car or break your vase, I need to pay for the monetary loss I caused you.

How about this: You own two very rare stamps, each valued at $50,000. They are the only two of their kind in existence. I take one of them, rip it in half and burn it. I owe you $50,000! Right? Here's the catch. The other stamp, now being the only one in existence, has now doubled in value; and is worth $100,000.

Do I owe you anything? Go!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Last edited:
Interesting read, thanks for the link!

Think of it like this: What if I simultaneously robbed you and threw money at you? Or better, what if instead of paying cash for smashing your car, I paid you the value of the damage in a case of mailboxes worth the same amount? Would that not be considered a valid payment (assuming I could "pay" with objects of value as opposed to just cash)? So what if I "paid you" using a rare stamp? One which happened to be yours already?

I dunno what your smokin, but none of what your saying makes any legal sense
If I was happy with a case of mailboxes, so be it !!, but you don't get the choice.....if I am entitled to compensation, you will give me what I want, either by law, or by lawful agreement !

Part of this question I guess is to remove the law for a second, and think with pure logic. I'm not saying either way, I just think its something to think about. And no officer, I have not been smoking (tonight)!

Ok....blow in this tube then....:biggrin:
Geez, WHAT !!
remove the law for a second

if you remove the law....there is Anarchy....it's my stamp, 'cause I took it off you.....ya wanna fight me for it.....:lol:

Part of this question I guess is to remove the law for a second, and think with pure logic. I'm not saying either way, I just think its something to think about. And no officer, I have not been smoking (tonight)!

If I look at this with 'pure logic' as you say then surely it would be something like:

"You broke my car, I want compensating for the damage. The car costs a total of £10,000 and as I am the victim I will decide on how the £10,000 gets paid to me - in this case I want it paid in cheese."

Surely it's down to the victim to decide how he/she gets compensated (assuming no laws here)...

I believe the $50,000 would need to be paid even if the remaining stamp's value went up to $100,000. There was originally two stamps, by destroying one you have forever taken away the possibility of both stamps being worth even more than $100,00 each.

Now don't think of it in terms of value - just look at what was done. A crime was done against another and punishment/reparation must be made even if the crime results in good fortune for the victim.

Justme: I don't think anyone will say I have to pay for damaging something which could have eventually gone up in value. Also, you're thinking from a legal perspective: don't think of it as a punishment; merely financial payment for the financial loss. Imagine if I had done it by accident. No crime there; but I'd still (maybe) be obligated to pay...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberto Saveru

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back